Links to new search in results

2010-04-15
2013-05-28
  • Hello everyone,

I think it would be marvelous to link the information show in the results pages (search.php) with links to new searches. Explanation: If I search for a specific author in our database, I quite often come across a co-author, that I want to do the next search on. At the moment I need to type the name of that author in the search field and hit enter. A linked author (or any other information like year, journal, type etc.) would make this obsolete. I've set up something similar on our external webserver as an example:
    http://pubsearch.ibt.uni-karlsruhe.de/refbase_query.php?author=Seemann

There you can click any author or year and a new search will be started meeting the query.

Thank you in advance!
    Best,
    Martin

• Hi Martin,

thanks for the feature suggestion and the nice example from your refbase server!

I think it would be marvelous to link the information show in the results pages (search.php) with links to new searches.

This "clickable search links" feature has actually been implemented already (it's almost done), but it isn't in the refbase SVN respository yet (sorry).

In its current implementation, the feature allows you to specify the views ("List", "Cite", "Display") where clickable search links shall be created for items in certain fields. However, in case of Citation view, search links are currently only provided within the "more info" section underneath each citation, so the feature may need to get expanded similar to your suggestion.

Also, clickable search links aren't available for all fields from MySQL tables 'refs' or 'user_data' (nor does it make sense for all fields). ATM, the following fields can be made into clickable search links:

author, title, type, year, publication, abbrev_journal, keywords, thesis, area, notes, serial, marked, selected, cite_key

Cheers, Matthias

• Hey Matthias,

thanks for the quick answer. The feature as is sounds good to me. Any idea, when it will be available in the SVN?

Cherrs,
    martin

• HI Martin,

Any idea, when it will be available in the SVN?

Unfortunately, I cannot make any promises for now. There are other things that need to get finished/fixed first, e.g. adoptions for the deprecated functions in PHP 5.3.x (some of which are currently used heavily by refbase). But I'll try my best…

Matthias