Italics in title and abstract fields

adrianbj
2008-01-27
2013-05-28
  • adrianbj
    adrianbj
    2008-01-27

Hi Matthias,

Would it be possible to make an exception on the conversion of htmlentities so it's possible to italicize species names in the title and abstract fields?

Thanks,
    Adrian

• It is possible to use italics & other rich text, but not by using html.  Instructions on the syntax are at:
      http://wiki.refbase.net/index.php/Refbase_markup_syntax

--Rick

• adrianbj
        adrianbj
        2008-01-27

Thanks Rick,

I really deserved a RTFM response for that question - I searched the forums, but not the wiki. Sorry!

Cheers,
        Adrian

• adrianbj
        adrianbj
        2008-01-27

Not sure if this is somehow related to my installation or a general problem due a limitation in PDF export (I know I have had problems with special characters when generating PDFs before), but [delta][super:15]N does not translate well when the PDF is generated. It comes out like: delta¹5N

Cheers,
        Adrian

• Knut Krüger
          Knut Krüger
          2008-01-27

Hi Adrian,
          do you mean:

(_Equus callabus_)

the "_" in front and behind the words will show them in italics.

have a look at:

http://wiki.refbase.net/index.php/Refbase_markup_syntax

Regards Knut

• adrianbj
            adrianbj
            2008-01-27

Hi Knut,

Thanks for the tip - Rick actually already point me to the wiki link - I was definitely guilty of not RTM.

Cheers,
            Adrian

• Hi Adrian,

> [delta][super:15]N does not translate well when the PDF is generated.
          > It comes out like: delta¹5N

This isn't a problem with your installation but a limitation of the OpenSource scripts which we are currently using for PDF generation. AFAIK, the PDF spec has no direct support for UTF-8, so support of Unicode characters is often tricky to achieve, and it's definitively not supported with the PDF generation package we're using. Thus, we convert as many of the non-ASCII characters as we can (those from the latin1 character set) and transform all remaining higher ASCII chars to their ASCII equivalents. Using the current package this is as good as we can do. Sorry for the trouble.

Speaking of the future, we should probably try to find (and integrate with) a PDF generation package that somehow manages to support Unicode in PDF output. I'd guess that the PDFlib package supports Unicode but that is not freely available but commercial, so it's not really an option for us.

Matthias