New Thesis Type

adrianbj
2008-01-26
2013-05-28
  • adrianbj
    adrianbj
    2008-01-26

Hi Matthias,

Just wanted to make a request for you to add Honours thesis to the list of thesis types please. It is a thesis offered in Australia and the UK and maybe other countries as well. It is quasi-equivalent to a masters, but without the typical coursework component.

I have already added it to my installation, but figured that others made find it useful too.

BTW, do you have a recommendation for the publication type when adding a thesis? I went with Miscellaneous, but I noticed in your code that you seem to have references to Book and thesis types.

Cheers,
    Adrian

• Hi Adrian,

> Just wanted to make a request for you to add Honours
      > thesis to the list of thesis types please.

This makes sense, thanks for the feedback. I have added it on my todo list, and I'll try to do this soon.

Best, Matthias

• sorry for wasting bandwidth, I hit reply to early...

> BTW, do you have a recommendation for the publication type when
      > adding a thesis? I went with Miscellaneous, but I noticed in your
      > code that you seem to have references to Book and thesis types.

Yes, at our institute, we use type "Book Whole" for theses. However, any type that describes an "atomic" item (this includes the types "Miscellaneous" and "Report") will also work fine. Using "Book Whole" for theses (together with the correct thesis identifier, of course) does probably work better on export though.

Matthias

• heem
    heem
    2010-07-16

I would like to add a "Licentiate" thesis type to the thesis types. As I understand it, it is declared in the database (refs table) by: thesis enum('Bachelor''s thesis','Honours thesis','Master''s thesis','Ph.D. thesis','Diploma thesis','Doctoral thesis','Habilitation thesis')

Can I add a 'Licentiate thesis' under this list without it breaking something?

I understand that u have to add it also in some php files, probably record.php and even common.inc.
    Am I missing some other places it is declared in?

• Hi heemle,

Can I add a 'Licentiate thesis' under this list without it breaking something?

Yes, at least if you manage to change every location where the thesis names/lists are used literally.

Doing a multi-file search for "Habilitation" across the entire refbase directory returns these files:

- includes/cite.inc.php
    - includes/import.inc.php
    - install.sql
    - install_utf8.sql
    - all the 'common.inc' and 'common_utf8.inc' files in the 'locales' directory
    - record.php
    - update.php
    - update.sql

A search within these files for "Habilitation" should show you the spots where code and/or data needs to be changed.

Hope this helps, let us know if you need further help.

Best, Matthias

• heem
    heem
    2010-07-19

Thank you for your help!