Including refbase on website

Help
2009-07-13
2013-05-28
  • Hi,
    I successfully set up refbase on a shared server (University) and included the output of refbase in a webpage using the javascripts and the suggestions from an earlier thread in 2008. On the server and website where refbase is installed it works without problems.
    However, I have a second website with a different domain address where I want to do a similar thing. Using the javascripts and a query to the database of website 1 I don't get any results, but a message like: No data could be retrieved.
    If I include the database via the iframe tag there is some output, however I want the visitor  to be able choose the  publications of specific authors. Could this be a permission problem.
    Any help is appreciated.
    Cheers
    Thomas

• Hi Thomas,

> I successfully set up refbase on a shared server (University) and included
      > the output of refbase in a webpage using the javascripts [...] On the server
      > and website where refbase is installed it works without problems.

Just to make sure I'm understanding you correctly: in this case, the refbase installation as well as the website (where results from refbase get included) reside on the same server?

> However, I have a second website with a different domain address
      > where I want to do a similar thing. Using the javascripts and a query
      > to the database of website 1 I don't get any results

AFAIK, many servers block JavaScript requests to foreign servers/domains (for the obvious security reasons). So maybe this is the reason why the refbase JavaScripts don't return any results?

Do you have access to the server's log files? If so, does the server's error log say something about it? Or maybe you could ask your server's administrator about this issue?

> I want the visitor to be able choose the publications of specific authors

If it's only possible to use the IFRAME method: maybe you could provide a list of links (for each of your authors) which, when clicked, update the contents of the IFRAME accordingly?

Regards, Matthias

• Hi Matthias,

>Just to make sure I'm understanding you correctly: in this case, the refbase installation as well >as the website (where results from refbase get included) reside on the same server?

That's correct

I asked the sys admins and they found that in the correct case (refbase and website on the same server) show.php and search.php are called.
        In case two (refbase and website on different servers) only show.php is called.

Is this one of those mod_security rules issues?

Cheers
        Thomas

• > I asked the sys admins and they found that in the correct case (refbase and
      > website on the same server) show.php and search.php are called.  In case two
      > (refbase and website on different servers) only show.php is called. 

> Is this one of those mod_security rules issues? 

Frankly, I don't know. I'm no mod_security expert, sorry. But others here may be able to help you further. I fear there's not much I can do and you probably need your server's administrators to further help you with this.

In case it turns out that the JavaScript include mechanism isn't an option on this server, you might want to look into generating the refbase results via a custom script:

http://www.refbase.net/index.php/Integrating_refbase_into_your_web_site#Custom_script

Matthias