Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Global Search/Replace in Keyword Field

Help
Irish
2011-05-18
2013-05-28
  • Irish
    Irish
    2011-05-18

I know that a batch SQL modification can be made to field(s) using UPDATE; however, is there a simple way to replace one or two words (usually species names) with the new iteration of that name in the keywords sections? Or can the batch SQL mods be written in such a way to pull out a word or two and replace with a new string? I've searched everywhere and read so much stuff in the forums and on the support wiki that I'm having problems even imagining how I might find this information, let alone how to solve this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If I have to write a SQL statement for this, is there a good way to add it as an option for a specific user (she would twitch uncontrollably if she had to write a SQL statement - even I gave her the exact syntax!). Anyway, as always your assistance is definitely appreciated.

• You can kind of do such things for groups, which is probably what you want to be using anyway.  Show a group, select all records, add them to a new group, and then remove the old group.

Keywords & other static fields do need a SQL modification, a'la:

UPDATE refs SET keywords = REPLACE (keywords,'KEY1','KEY2');

• Irish
    Irish
    2011-05-19

Worked perfectly! Thanks for your assistance once again!

• Irish
    Irish
    2011-05-19

BTW, I have written up instructions for the process. Let me know if you'd like a copy of them.

• Sure.  And let us know if you have a place in mind for it on the wiki or in our docs.