Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

"marked" field & "approved": 2 questions

Help
2009-01-30
2013-05-28
  • john_norvell
    john_norvell
    2009-01-30

Two questions:

What does the "marked" checkbox field do in the user profile?

What is the thinking behind the "approved" field in the records?

• Hi John,

generally, if you hover over a field's form element in the "Add/Edit record" form, you should get a small tool tip containing a short explanation what the field is about and how one should enter data.

> What does the "marked" checkbox field do in the user profile?

With regard to the 'marked' and 'selected' fields (in table 'user_data'):

Both fields can be used to permanently "mark" (or "select") records so that one can come back easily to these records later on. In that sense, it's more or less up to you how you use these fields.

However, in a more specific sense, the 'selected' field is meant to indicate your "selected publications". This can be used to easily gather all publications of a particular author that shall be included on the institute's web site. Here's a real-world example for one of my colleagues:

http://polaris.ipoe.uni-kiel.de/refs/show.php?author=piepenburg,%20d&userID=4&selected=yes&submit=Cite&showRows=100&citeOrder=year&headerMsg=Publications%20of%20**Dieter%20Piepenburg**:

In the above URL, note the use of the '&selected=yes' bit. I.e. the above URL displays all selected records that were authored by "D. Piepenburg" in Citation view (grouped by publication year), and adds a header message above the results list.

More info on how to setup dynamically updating author (or group) bibliographies is available at:

http://bibliographies.refbase.net/

> What is the thinking behind the "approved" field in the records?

Set to 'yes' if you've verified this record for correctness, otherwise set to 'no'. That said, you're free to use that field however you like.

For desriptions & examples of other fields of table 'refs', see:

http://www.refbase.net/index.php/Table_refs

HTH, Matthias

• john_norvell
      john_norvell
      2009-01-31

Thanks. I think I understand the use of marked in user-data for a record. I don't see what it does in the "add user" form.

• > I think I understand the use of marked in user-data for a
      > record. I don't see what it does in the "add user" form.

Well, for pretty much the same reasons. Like a user can "mark" particular bibliographic records, the admin can "mark" particular user records - what whatever reason this might be useful. It simply serves as a means to flag a certain record.

Note that, for the "Add User" form, the fields 'keywords', 'notes' and 'marked' are only available to the admin. They are not displayed when a regular user is logged in and views his own user data entry.

Matthias