Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Memory allocation and exporting

Help
2011-05-16
2013-05-28
  • Reid Hankins
    Reid Hankins
    2011-05-16

When trying to export 6,000 records via MODS XML and ODF XML I get memory allocation errors - not enough memory. 

The server already has a very high memory allocation.  I've increased it in the past for this same reason.  I would prefer to not keep increasing it. 

Is there anyway for the system to limit the number of records able to be exported?  Or any other advice here?

• Is there anyway for the system to limit the number of records able to be exported?

Not at present.

Or any other advice here?

Other than to just select fewer references for export?  What has made you want to export 6K references?  That is a lot.  We can reduce the memory used in export, but this would increase the time it takes to generate the file & would probably lead to time-outs (though the maximum execution time can also be configured & one could think of a more significant design change that would allow such large files to be processed).  I don't know, off-hand, any web-based reference manager that will export that many.  Having a soft-limit, controlled by a refbase ini file seems like a reasonable compromise that will lead to a little less frustration/surprise by users who do try to make large exports, but it doesn't really buy much (errors are already reported and handled gracefully & the limit would be relatively hard to set well).  But I'd appreciate hearing about what you're trying to do before we impose such a limit…