Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Czechoslovakian characters

Help
2007-11-26
2013-05-28
  • Knut Krüger
    Knut Krüger
    2007-11-26

How do I get the Czechoslovakian Character into the refbase, or what is the common international procedure for that characters?
    see authors names
    http://vfu-www.vfu.cz/acta-vet/vol73/73-455.pdf

Regards Knut

• Hi Knut,

> How do I get the Czechoslovakian Character into the refbase

Generally, cyrillic characters are not part of the "latin1" (i.e., ISO-8859-1 West European) character set. This means that you'll need to use refbase with a Unicode-based MySQL database, i.e. you need to install refbase using the "utf8" as default character set.

> or what is the common international procedure for that characters?

I'm not aware of any common procedure w.r.t. higher ASCII characters. I guess that, due to technical limitations (and hopefully not due to ignorance), english-centric journals or databases (like PubMed) have pretty much neglected higher ASCII characters. If you'd like to keep your latin1-based refbase database, then you'd also need to ignore these characters, and use their ASCII representations instead.

Matthias

• Czech uses a latin alphabet (not a Cyrillic alphabet) with diacritical marks (accents).  Most (or all?) of the characters appear in the ISO-8859-2 Eastern European character set.

You best bet is to use UTF-8.

Michael

• The SQL database from the new server has latin_swedish.  for the text fields. This contains the most of the european characters
      I didn not try a lot but a lot of problems are gone now.

Regards Knut