Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

UTF-8 leads to errors when importing

Help
foggi
2009-03-13
2013-05-28
  • foggi
    foggi
    2009-03-13

    Dear refbasers,

    I changed to UTF-8 due to our MySQL database, which is set up with this character encoding.
    Before, as we used latin1 encoding (in refbase and MySQL), there were no problems. But now, after the change, refbase produces an error message "There were validation errors regarding the data you entered" when we perform an import.
    The data to be imported is an EndNote sample from refbase documentation.
    The default character set in MySQL is UTF-8, the initialize/ini.inc.php file contains the following line:
    $contentTypeCharset = "UTF-8";

    Any hints why this error appears?

    Thanks in advance!

    foggi

     
    • Hi foggi,

      sorry to hear you're facing trouble.

      > I changed to UTF-8 due to our MySQL database,
      > which is set up with this character encoding.

      How did you perform the migration of the refbase data? I.e. did you convert your latin1-based refbase MySQL database to UTF-8 somehow? if so, how?

      In any case, you might be interested in this section in our online documentation:

      http://www.refbase.net/index.php/Troubleshooting

      Also, please go thru the following help section and see whether you spot any incorrect settings with your local refbase setup:

      http://www.refbase.net/index.php/Installation-Troubleshooting#Problems_with_special_characters

      And which version of Bibutils are you using? There have been reports from other users about problems with Bibutils v4.1, while Bibutils v3.4 seems to be working fine. Though I haven't yet found time to test this further.

      Thanks, Matthias

       
    • foggi
      foggi
      2009-03-18

      Hi Matthias,

      the "validation error" is fixed now.

      We changed the my.cnf and added the following line in the mysqld section:
      init-connect="set names utf8"

      Now using bibutils version 3.40, was version 4.1

      ...and it works

      Thanks!
      foggi

       
    • foggi
      foggi
      2009-03-18

      Hi Matthias,

      the "validation error" is fixed now.

      We changed the my.cnf and added the following line in the mysqld section:
      init-connect="set names utf8"

      Now using bibutils version 3.40, was version 4.1

      ...and it works

      Thanks!
      foggi

       
    • Hi foggi,

      thanks for reporting back! Character set issues can be tricky to resolve, so I'm glad to hear you did find a solution for your problem.

      > Now using bibutils version 3.40, was version 4.1

      Ok, I'll investigate why Bibutils v4.1 isn't working with refbase (unfortunately, I haven't had time to do so, but will do soon).

      Let us know if you run into anything else.

      Best regards, Matthias