Doi link problem

Help
2007-08-13
2013-05-28
  • Knut Krüger
    Knut Krüger
    2007-08-13

I have a strange problem with the doi link.
    f.e http://references.equine-behaviour.de record 726

If I click at the doi icon there is a errror at the science direct page

->  Sorry, your request can not be processed due to a system problem. Contact the Help Desk if the problem persists. [SD-009] <-

If I copy and past the link into the browser I get the related page from science direct.
    Does anybody knows whats the difference?
    I tried it with IE and firefox

Regards Knut

• Hi Knut,

> I have a strange problem with the doi link. 
      > f.e http://references.equine-behaviour.de record 726 
      >  
      > If I click at the doi icon there is a errror at the science direct page 

I tried the DOI link for record 726 in your refbase database and it appears to work fine for me. Clicking the DOI link I get redirected to:

http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/0304376283901219

This may be a referrer-related issue at their end, or it may depend on from where you're accessing the Elsevier site.

Matthias

• Knut Krüger
        Knut Krüger
        2007-08-14

Hi Matthias,
        it seems that they have fixed it. Now its working fine, but I do not understand the difference, between using the DOI link and copy the link in the browser from the doi field. Isn't it the same?

Knut

• Hi Knut,

> Now its working fine, but I do not understand the difference,
          > between using the DOI link and copy the link in the browser from
          > the doi field. Isn't it the same?

Yes, that should be the same, except for the referrer. In the first case, the referrer probably contains the URL of the currently displayed refbase page, while in the latter, the referrer is empty. This *might* make for a difference if Elsevier uses referrer information to process incoming links. But this is just a wild guess and I may be totally wrong.

Slightly related, I've also noticed issues when resolving DOIs from Elsevier for articles published online ahead of print. It seems to take some time for newly assigned DOIs to propagate to the CrossRef resolver system (dx.doi.org).

Matthias

• Knut Krüger
            Knut Krüger
            2007-08-14

by the way: why didn't you show the doi icon at the search page instead the link icon if there is a dio present?

Knut

• > why didn't you show the doi icon at the search page instead the
              > link icon if there is a dio present?

On search results pages (in List and Citation view), only one link will be printed for links of type URL/DOI/ISBN/XREF, with the order of preference being DOI, URL, ISBN, XREF. Since there's always only one link, a generic arrow icon (without the link type indicators "WWW", "DOI", "ISBN" or "XREF") is displayed for reasons of simplicity. However, the help text that pops up when you hoover your mouse over the link icon will always tell you what type of link it is.

I can see that this is somehow inconsistent in comparison with the link icons displayed in Details view but the current solution of displaying generic link icons in List and Citation view helps to reduce visible clutter (which was the major reason it got implemented like it is now).

If people find this confusing, I'm willing to re-think it. But until now, I haven't heard any complaints, though.

Matthias