Duplicate output same serial number

Help
Anonymous
2011-05-27
2013-05-28

• Anonymous
    2011-05-27

Hi All,
    I am having problem with the simple search and the quick search results giving duplicate output. These are not duplicates in the database as the serial number is the same for each. And I looked at the MySQL table and the record appears only once. For instance, if I search for an author, I will get all records of the author, but some of the single records will be repeated 4 times, then maybe the next record will show up only once. Can someone tell me where (what file to look in or simply replace with a new one) I can go to investigate the issue?
    I would also like to put the login interface on to a separate page. We are not going to allow anyone but the webmaster to login. Everyone else will just search and export. Can anyone give me instructions are where to find the login code and how I might move it to a separate page without breaking anything?
    I would also like to remove the openurl link as we will only be using this database for searching citations, not for linking to anything. Can someone tell me where to find the href tag?
    If you can answer any or all of these questions, I would appreciate the help.
    Meridith

• This has been reported once before, but the developers have not replicated it.  In the past, it has only happened to logged in users, so you can safely ignore it.  To troubleshoot, we'd need you to increase your debug level & see what happens when you add a record, as there shouldn't be a reason for two user-specific rows to be generated each time you add a record.
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/refbase/forums/forum/218758/topic/3571121

The login should be in index.php and includes/header.inc.php, but I'm on travel & don't have a copy of the code to double-check (grep is very useful for this kind of question).

• Anonymous
    2011-06-01

This has been reported once before, but the developers have not replicated it. In the past, it has only happened to logged in users, so you can safely ignore it.

1. This is happening without logging in

To troubleshoot, we'd need you to increase your debug level & see what happens when you add a record, as there shouldn't be a reason for two user-specific rows to be generated each time you add a record. http://sourceforge.net/projects/refbase/forums/forum/218758/topic/3571121

2. the data is NOT duplicated in the database as previous forum post was experiencing, it is only happening at output of query results as far as I can see. But, I will try the debug, perhaps it will locate the source code for me.

(grep is very useful for this kind of question).

I am not working via the command line. I open the files in a text editor and that is why I have difficulty locating files. Thank you for the information I will follow up.
    4. what about removing the openurl link? Can you tell me where to find it?
    thank you,
    Meridith

• Anonymous
    2011-06-01

I was able to move the login form to its own page, thank you. Now only the person who will be administering the site will login.

My apologies, the duplicated output does only happen to the logged in user. However, this seems like a bug that should still be fixed. I believe it is a problem with the output of the query, as I said, in the mySQL database, the records are not duplicated.

• However, this seems like a bug that should still be fixed.

Yes, and we'd like to fix it.  But it is just not a bug that we've figured out how to reproduce & the small number of users who have reported it have not supplied enough debug information to us.

However, this seems like a bug that should still be fixed. I believe it is a problem with the output of the query, as I said, in the mySQL database, the records are not duplicated.

The fact that it only happens to logged in users (and, specifically: logged in users who have modified the record) suggests that this is not the case.  In the past, it has been because there are multiple rows in the table that stores user-specific data for the records.

-Rick

• I am not working via the command line. I open the files in a text editor and that is why I have difficulty locating files.

Many of the more sophisticated text editors and every modern operating system has some graphical equivalent to find files containing certain text.

4. what about removing the openurl link? Can you tell me where to find it?

As the comment in initialize/ini.inc.php indicates:

specify an empty string if you don't want any auto-generation of OpenURL links

• Anonymous
    2011-06-02

Thank you for your help. I was able to take out the openurl link.
    Further, thank you for the explanation of the problem as you see it. It makes sense. I cannot swear I only logged in as one user, ever.
    Now I am afraid to experiment with it and give you the errors to look at. Although, I guess I could make the errors, get the report, truncate the table and re-upload. The re-upload will take out the duplicates that get made from messing around with the data. If I do, I will send the errors to you.
    Do you think if more than person used the same id on different computers that it would create the same problems? Or is it only a multiple user problem? Or is it a problem when any one user messes with the data in any way?
    The reason I ask is that we could make it so that only one username and password are used by only one person. If that took care of it, I could live with that.
    BTW, I am using Komodo, which I love, but it sometimes gets confused when I want to do searches on the server. Komodo does not locate anything using search except for what is in the file that is open, if I try search in files… nothing happens. I would absolutely not keep asking where to find things if I had a way to find it on my own. Also, sometimes, I do not know what I am looking for.
    I appreciate your help as always. And I really love Refbase, it is a great tool so far.

• Do you think if more than person used the same id on different computers that it would create the same problems? Or is it only a multiple user problem? Or is it a problem when any one user messes with the data in any way?

It likely has nothing to do with multiple users. Again, I've not replicated it.  But the scenario sounds like: user1 adds (or edits?) a reference, creating multiple user-specific fields for that reference.  There should be no apparent dups for non-logged-in users or for user2 (as there won't be multiple user-specific fields for those particular users).