create database with PhPMyadmin

Help
2009-09-16
2013-05-28
  • Knut Krüger
    Knut Krüger
    2009-09-16

Hi to all
    What basic adjustments must I use when I would like to crate the databse by PhpMyAdmin
        I have two possible choices
        first to creat the database -> Kollation…utf8_????
        and additional:
        Character Set: Kollation of the MySql Connection -> utf_bin …utf_???

Kind Regards Knut

• I don't understand your question because of the awkward phrasing through the use of '???,' random italics, and such.  I'd create a UTF8 database.  Please also refer to: .  Is there a reason you cannot use install.php?

: http://www.refbase.net/index.php/Manual_installation

• Hi Knut,

depending on whether you'd like to install refbase as a Unicode/UTF8-based database, or with Western ISO Latin 1 (aka ISO-8859-1) encoding:

ISO-8859-1:
    `default character set: latin1 
    collation: latin1_general_ci`

Unicode/UTF-8:
    `default character set: utf8 
    collation: utf8_general_ci`

If possible, set all "levels" (i.e. server, database, connection, etc) to either utf8 or latin1, and try to avoid mixing encodings.

Using raw MySQL, if you've decided to name your new database literature and use the Unicode character set (UTF8 encoding) for your database, your CREATE DATABASE statement would read:

CREATE DATABASE literature DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8;

You might also want to take a look at:

(http://www.refbase.net/index.php/Manual_installation#2_Installing_refbase_on_your_own_server)

HTH, Matthias

• Knut Krüger
    Knut Krüger
    2009-09-16

The reason is, that I have a lot of erros in the present database.
    Nearly all special characters are corrupted, after doing an phpMyAdmin dump and inport with PhP MyAdmin.
    Therefore I changed all wrong character with an Text edtior, and have now an  (with the Editor) SQL File.

Because of that I think that I did the basic set of the database wrong.

Is it right in that case to create the dabase befor importing the sql file with:
    CREATE DATABASE literature DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8;
    default character set: utf8 collation: utf8_general_ci

Regards Knut

• Hi Knut,

for a UTF-8 based database, use `utf8_general_ci` in both cases (i.e. for the database collation as well as for the server's connection collation).

HTH, Matthias