Problems after Ubuntu update

Anonymous
2010-05-03
2013-05-28

• Anonymous
    2010-05-03

After updating Ubuntu linux 9.10 to the new version 10.04, I found my refbase installation (http://ks207.moore.hawaii.edu/ref/) pretty much useless. It produces a string  of error messages such as these:

Deprecated: Function ereg() is deprecated in /var/www/ref/includes/include.inc.php  on line 4299
    Deprecated: Function split() is deprecated in /var/www/ref/includes/include.inc.php on line 4241
    Deprecated: Function ereg() is deprecated in /var/www/ref/index.php on line 67
    Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /var/www/ref/includes/include.inc.php on line 6038
    Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /var/www/ref/includes/include.inc.php on line 6045

The list goes on. Any notion what the likely cause is? Any remedy?

Thanks.

Michael E. Macmillan

• Hi Michael,

the "Depracated: …" notes you're seeing is most likely due to PHP 5.3 which now considers the non-Perl-style regular expression functions (like 'ereg()',  'eregi()',  'ereg_replace()',  'eregi_replace()' or 'split()') as deprecated. refbase makes heavy use of these functions.

I've changed all these functions calls in my local development build to their 'preg_*()' equivalents, but I haven't yet found time to check in my huge list of changes, sorry for the trouble.

As a workaround, you could set the 'error_reporting' variable in your server's active 'php.ini' file to:

error_reporting = E_ALL & ~E_DEPRECATED

or some similar error reporting setting that's appropriate for a production server. Please see the PHP docs for more info.

Matthias

• Anonymous
    2010-05-03

Thanks. I'll look into that as a workaround.

mem