Current Status?

Lacan
2005-11-16
2013-05-28
  • Lacan
    Lacan
    2005-11-16

I recently managed to install and run my RefBase. And I am impressed by its simplicity and 'cleanness'. Since then I have looked trough this site, especially the "feature request" forum. There I found several features that was said to be soon implemented. However those were posted well over a year ago and they still aren't there as far as I could tell... (Could I be wrong here?)

In fact some of these are the reason I choose RefBase in the first place. I was considering to sit down and write some of them myself, seeing that they were missing. However, reading those old posts, lighted my excitement that perhaps they have already been implemented soemwhere. Is this so? (Then how do I get them and implement them?)

The features of particular interest where those (aslo mentioned in the "hints" forum) of:

1) ISI and PubMed reference import (or support)
       integartion.
    2) Automatic and configarable serial numbering
       of PDF files.
    3) Easier user login procedure, where a user can
       register and himself.

There were several more, but I think these were th most critical ones. In addition I have several of my own ideas for improvement and features, that I would like to discuss. So what could/should I do? How can I help?

Best regards,
    -joachim-

PS. Unfortunately, my position doesn't allow me to sit and wait for the next stable release of RefBase. So I have to implement these improvements in one way or another...

• Hi Joachim,

> 1) ISI and PubMed reference import (or support) integartion.

This hasn't been done yet, I have just outlined the reasons here:

https://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=3429557

However, there were folks who hacked their own PubMed importer. Their database seems to be non-functional now, but you can still see their PubMed Import form:

https://fungalgenome.concordia.ca/refbase/import_csa.php

> 2) Automatic and configarable serial numbering of PDF files.

This has been implemented and is available in the most recent CVS version. refbase offers a flexible renaming mechanism with 24 placeholders which you can use to generate file and directory names.

> 3) Easier user login procedure, where a user can register and himself.

You can setup refbase 0.8.0 such as users can automatically register themselves. In 'ini.inc.php' set the '$addNewUsers' variable to 'everyone'. Then, provide a link on the main page to:

http://localhost/refs/user_details.php

where user's can use the provided form to register themselves.

> I have several of my own ideas for improvement and features, that I would like
      > to discuss. So what could/should I do? How can I help?

For discussion, please use the forums (as you're doing already ;-). Regarding helping out (which most welcome!), it depends what you need most.

Regards, Matthias