Endnote Connect

Florian
2011-09-02
2013-05-28
  • Florian
    Florian
    2011-09-02

Hi there,

I'm not an Endnote fan, and I've never really used it much. I tend to use Papers2 with the new citation-function. Anyway, when collaborating on a paper I have to use Endnote. Whats kinda neat though, is the "connect" function in Endnote, where one can quickly search for a reference online. I found out, that this connect-function uses the Z39.50 webprotocol - I have no clue what that is and what it does, but maybe someone here knows if its possible to use a RefBase database together with the connect-function in endnote.

Thanks a bunch, and have a nice weekend all,

F.D.

• refbase does not support Z39.50 at this time, but it is certainly something we've talked about adding eventually.  The protocol is fairly old and is getting less popular, compared to newer standards such as OpenSearch.  I do not use EndNote, but I thought they were going to add some of these newer standards (in part to support import from newer journal sites).

-Rick

• Florian
    Florian
    2011-09-05

Hi,

yep, I've looked around and Endnote does support OpenURL, but that works the other way…it allows you to retrieve the fulltext for a reference already in endnote. To import references into endnote from other repositories the only way is the z39.50 standard, OpenSearch is not (yet) implemented…

thanks anyways,

f.d.