Recent Implementations

Lacan
2005-12-21
2013-05-28
  • Lacan
    Lacan
    2005-12-21

There has been many exciting and recent additions to refbase in the last weeks. Thanks to a recent interest surge, a few of us have hacked together a number of very useful features to refbase. Whether or not these will be implemented in the next release (preliminarily planned in January) is entirely up to the developers, but is honstly not very likely due to stability and testing reasons. I just want to relay that these tools are in the pipeline and available to brave users.  ;)

These include the following:
    o  (*)   PUBMED ID and DOI (web based reference import)
    o  (**)  import of ISI (WoS) exported references
    o  (***) direct PDF DOI extraction and import
    o  (***) email export to members in user_group's

However, these are scripts that need more or less PHP source editing. They may also depend on having the later CVS version of refbase installed (or upgraded). In which case it will suffice to drop the files in the refbase base directory and change the ./includes/header.inc.php file accordingly, to add a link to the new files, on the top of your refbase page. I will classify the installation difficulty (as a beginner) as follows:

*   Very easy. Just drop the files to the base directory and add a link in the header.inc.php file accordingly.
    **  Easy. And/or in addition to "*" you also need to edit the PHP code in another file by adding a few lines at a certain place well described.
    *** Medium. You have to edit possibly more than one file in several places and the code is not from CVS so you need to understand some PHP to figure out where the code snippets have to go.

Happy Holidays,
    -j-

• adrianbj
      adrianbj
      2005-12-21

Hi,

I still can't seem to find the 'import of ISI (WoS' script anywhere in the CVS - any help locating it would be great.

Cheers,
      Adrian

• Sorry--I was debating whether or not it was realistic to clean it up & add it to the next release.  I didn't want to prematurely put it in the mainline or in contrib until closer to the release.

It is now in CVS in "contrib/isi2csa."  It might still show up in the next release.  If not, definitely the release AFTER the next one.

--Rick

• adrianbj
          adrianbj
          2005-12-23

Thanks Rick,

Just used the script and it works perfectly. A very handy addition indeed as WOS is the database of choice at our university and definitely appears more comprehensive and more up to date than CSA.

Thanks of course to J for creating it.

Adrian