problems with pdf upload: permission problem?

Gert
2009-07-07
2013-05-28
  • Gert
    Gert
    2009-07-07

Hi there,
    we have problems with the PDF upload to our new Refbase installation (0.9.5), available at <http://www.mol-palaeo-lit.de>

Warning: mkdir() [function.mkdir]: Permission denied in /var/www/refbase/modify.php on line 1439
    Warning: move_uploaded_file(/var/www/refbase/pdf/schreiber/2009/10075_Schreiber_etal2009.pdf) [function.move-uploaded-file]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in/var/www/refbase/modify.php on line 1420
    Warning: move_uploaded_file() [function.move-uploaded-file]: Unable to move '/tmp/php2nFWng' to '/var/www/refbase/pdf/schreiber/2009/10075_Schreiber_etal2009.pdf' in/var/www/refbase/modify.php on line 1420
    Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/refbase/modify.php:1439) in /var/www/refbase/modify.php on line 1290

This points to permission problems.

Which user needs to have permissions to cretae folders etc. in the PDF folder?

best regards

Gert

• Hi Gert,

> we have problems with the PDF upload to our new Refbase installation (0.9.5),

> Warning: mkdir() [function.mkdir]: Permission denied in
      > /var/www/refbase/modify.php on line 1439

> This points to permission problems.

Yes. Please try the suggestions given in these two threads:

https://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=2127142&forum_id=218758
      https://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=2919074&forum_id=218758

Does this help?

> Which user needs to have permissions to cretae folders etc. in the
      > PDF folder?

I think that refbase/PHP gets usually executed by the user that also executes the Apache web server. But I guess this depends on the server setup, and your server's admin surely knows more about it.

HTH, Matthias

• Gert
        Gert
        2009-07-08

Hi Matthias,
        thanks for your quick attention - as usual ;-)
        We really love the 0.9.5 version, great work.
        However, changing the modify.php file as suggested in the other two threads does not work, still

Warning: mkdir() [function.mkdir]: Permission denied in /var/www/refbase/modify.php on line 1442

Warning: move_uploaded_file(/var/www/refbase/pdf/wommack/10076_Wommack_etal.pdf) [function.move-uploaded-file]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/refbase/modify.php on line 1420

Warning: move_uploaded_file() [function.move-uploaded-file]: Unable to move '/tmp/phpSCROs5' to '/var/www/refbase/pdf/wommack/10076_Wommack_etal.pdf' in /var/www/refbase/modify.php on line 1420

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/refbase/modify.php:1442) in /var/www/refbase/modify.php on line 1290

I will now contact our sys admin and ask about your second suggestion.
        I will keep you posted.

keep up the good work!
        best

Gert