Refbase - Error @ installation on Apache

Florian
2009-11-17
2013-05-28
  • Florian
    Florian
    2009-11-17

Hi there,

I tried to install RefBase today on a Windows Computer running Apache 2.2.11, PHP 5.3.0 and MySQL 5.1.36 using WAMPServer 2.0

After installation, and setting up the initialize/db.inc.php (username, password and MySQL database name),
    the RefBase page loads, and I can login and klick all the links (import, search and so on), but all those error-messages pop up:

Deprecated: Function ereg() is deprecated in F:\apache\htdocs\refbase-0.9.5\includes\include.inc.php on line 4300
    this goes on (you can take a look, If you like ->

I thought this was a problem with the mySQL-user, but I checked the MyPHP client and all the settings of our database seem fine (all the grants are set correctly)

I checked the php.ini, and all the neccessary settings are on "ON" or "1" (also the safe_mode is on "OFF")

I'm running out of ideas…we also tried a manual installation - same thing.

Its probably some really stupid error, but thank you anyways for your time.

: http://cuniculina.biologie.uni-ulm.de/refbase-0.9.5/

• Hi Florian,

sorry for the trouble you're facing. These E_DEPRECATED errors are not a problem with your installation, since (as I've also discovered recently) PHP 5.3.0 has  quite a few of its older functions. This causes problems for refbase.

: http://de.php.net/manual/en/migration53.deprecated.php

refbase-0.9.5 makes abundant use of some of these (now deprecated) functions, such as 'ereg()' or 'split()'.

I've started to replace these functions with their recommended replacement functions, but this process isn't done yet, and I can't say when I'll be able to upload my changes. I'll try to do this ASAP, though.

For the time being, would you be able to either deploy refbase with PHP 5.2.x or suppress error messages on your server?

Matthias

• Florian
    Florian
    2009-11-17

hi,

thx for the quick reply…

I'll ask my boss if its possible to install the new PHP version. Otherwise, like you said, it should be possible to check for those error-messages in the php.ini?

Greetz ;-)
    Oh, and thx for the pics in the last mail. You guys had the original Army-Bunny boots - I always get laughs when I put mine on in the winter… ;-)

• Florian
    Florian
    2009-11-17

Me again…
    My boss wants to refrain from reinstalling PHP, since it was installed in the actual setting in a bundle. But maybe it is possible to upgrade the WAMP server? I read in a couple forums that Upgrading WAMP 2.0 to 2.0i helps dealing with the PHP5.3 issue.
    It might be possible to just upgrade WAMP "on the fly" and leave the apache and all the other stuff untouched.

• As Matthias pointed out, the warning notices are relatively benign.  You should probably not emit your errors and warnings to the world in a production environment anyway.  Set  display_errors = Off in php.ini

• Florian
    Florian
    2009-11-18

Okidoki. Thx for all your help.

• As already reported in other forum threads, I've (finally!) updated the bleeding-edge branch of the refbase Subversion repository at Sourceforge. This newest revision (#1337) should work with PHP5 w/o emitting E_DEPRECATED errors. This may need more testing, but most (if not all) of the issues should be fixed now. Let me know if this isn't the case for you.

More information on how to obtain, install or update the refbase SVN version is available at:

http://svn.refbase.net/

HTH, Matthias