Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Bibutils endx2xml issue

2010-03-14
2013-05-28
  • Matthias Guth
    Matthias Guth
    2010-03-14

    Hi all,

    I'm actually working on an automatic Endnote-XML import function for refbase. Therefore I need the fields locatet in the <pdf-urls> -tag. For most of the records in the Endnote-exported-XML-file the endx2xml tool (included in bibutils) works just fine so I can post-progress this field.

    But I recognized that some of the records with a <pdf-urls> tag just are not overtaken to the resulting MODs-XML-file. I seperated two entries an posted them at pastebin:

    Endnote-exported XML: http://pastebin.de/4581
    Resulting MODs-XML: http://pastebin.de/4582

    Endx2xml drops a warning according to the unrecognized type "Web Page" at refnum 2 but this does not affect the <pdf-urls> Field.

    So I'm stuck here. Does somebody have a clue why the first entry does not get the <pdf-urls> field?
    Greetings,
    Matthias

     
  • Hi Matthias,

    I've tried to convert your Endnote XML file using Bibutils 4.3 and Bibutils 4.8. Bibutils 4.3 produces exactly the MODS output you've given, showing the problem you mentioned. However, Bibutils 4.8 does not appear to have this problem. The PDF URLs will be converted to MODS for both records. Also, Bibutils 4.8 tags the PDF URLs with 'displayLabel="Electronic full text" access="raw object"' which is nice. So I'd recommend to try Bibutils 4.8 for pre-processing.

    That said, please note that refbase-0.9.5 is still not compatible with Bibutils 4.x, i.e. you'd need to use Bibutils 4.8 externally, and then import the resulting MODS XML.

    HTH, Matthias

     
  • Matthias Guth
    Matthias Guth
    2010-04-19

    Hi Matthias,

    thanks for testing my XML-File. My script is working fine now using bibutils 4.8 and applying the patch mentioned here http://https://sourceforge.net/projects/refbase/forums/forum/379434/topic/3527246

    But I've got an strange behavior on importing entries. The prenames are cut to the first letter. This seems to be a refbase-internal behavior since it is the same effect when importing using import.php and bibutils keep the full names.

    Is there a switch to keep the full names?

    Greetings,
    Matthias

     
  • Hi Matthias,

    Is there a switch to keep the full names?

    While there isn't currently an appropriate setting in 'initialize/ini.inc.php, you can change all occurrences of variable '$shortenGivenNames' to false (in file 'initialize/ini.inc.php'). For more info, please checkout this thread:

    https://sourceforge.net/projects/refbase/forums/forum/351913/topic/3234564

    But see also the cautionary notes from the previous thread: "Please note that in your database, you should stick to either fully written given names OR initials. If you mix these, records won't get sorted correctly on citation output". This is also explained in more detail in the previous thread.

    HTH, Matthias

     
  • Matthias Guth
    Matthias Guth
    2010-04-20

    Hi Matthias,

    great! That worked very well and keeps me from a lot of working hours :)

    Greetings,
    Matthias