Display of results

2005-10-05
2013-05-28
  • Hi,

I'm considering using RefBase to manage our records of publications by staff at our site.

I'd like to use the "Cite" function to produce the citation + abstract for users who aren't logged in (i.e. this would be the only view available to them - tho' I've yet to work this out).

I'm trying to get this done by altering an existing Cite php script, but somehow, it's not working. I'm trying to use the "cite_PolarBiol_MarBiol_MEPS.php" script as a start point, and have identified the correct field in the database, but somehow, with other scripts being called, the abstract doesn't come through.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Tom

tom.pasley@gmail.com

• Hi Tom,

> I'd like to use the "Cite" function to produce the citation +
      > abstract for users who aren't logged in (i.e. this would be the
      > only view available to them - tho' I've yet to work this out).

It may be difficult to reliably hide access to all other scripts from them. E.g., refbase currently assumes that the column view is always available by.

Anyhow, as a good starting point, you may want to disable several of the existing user permissions for anyone who isn't logged in:

user_options.php?userID=0

For your application, it's especially important that SQL search is disabled for non-logged in users. Of course, Details view should be disabled as well.

Furthermore, to hide fields in column view from the user, you could edit the list of items shown in the drop-downs for "Search within Results" and "Display Options" on any search results page. To do so, move undesired field names from line 680 to line 681 and from line 688 to line 689 in 'search.php'. (customized drop-down lists on a per-user basis are a planned feature addition so it'll get way easier in the future ;)

> I'm trying to use the "cite_PolarBiol_MarBiol_MEPS.php" script as
      > a start point, and have identified the correct field in the
      > database, but somehow, with other scripts being called, the
      > abstract doesn't come through.

That's because the abstract field isn't included in MySQL queries for cite output. You can easily add it in 'search.php' (line 4372), i.e instead of:

$query = "SELECT type, author, year, ...

write:

$query = "SELECT abstract, type, author, year, ...

Then, you can call the contents of the abstract field in script 'cite_PolarBiol_MarBiol_MEPS.php' like this:

$row['abstract']

HTH, Matthias