Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

User comments not deleted when user is delete

2009-02-21
2013-05-28
  • Martin Gerken
    Martin Gerken
    2009-02-21

Hmm... I've just installed refbase and deleted the default user (BTW: the installer should mention this step!).
    The comments of this user are not automatically deleted und clog up space in the database...

Martin

• Peter Roosen
      Peter Roosen
      2009-02-21

Hello Martin,

is this space really important? (This question is meant ernestly as I did not check the respective database space.)

As soon as you really begin to use refbase and administer some 50+ citations with it, possibly together with abstracts or full-text pdfs, I expect the surplus space for the example items as marginal.

Regards,

Peter

• Martin Gerken
      Martin Gerken
      2009-02-22

Hi Peter,
      my concern is that you have orphaned database entries and I don't think that we have to discuss that they are bad.
      Regard,  Martin

• Peter Roosen
        Peter Roosen
        2009-02-22

Hi Martin!

Orphaned entries are not nice, but I would not over-estimate them with respect to consistency. IMHO, they just cannot be addressed any more since the pointers leading to them have broken away.

I assume that any alternative super-user may edit or delete them afterwards if they should show up eventually.

Regards,

Peter

• Hi Martin,

> I've just installed refbase and deleted the default user
      > (BTW: the installer should mention this step!).

Well, it's clearly mentioned in the 'INSTALL' file (which is there for a reason):

"You can now delete the initial user by choosing 'Manage Users' and clicking the appropriate trash icon. (However, we recommend to keep this user until you've explored the example records that come with the database)."

And no, I don't think it makes sense to put all information from the 'INSTALL' file into the web installer interface.

> The comments of this user are not automatically deleted
      > und clog up space in the database...

If you really care, you could always login as admin, open 'sql_search.php', and enter this SQL query:

DELETE * FROM user_data WHERE user_id = 1

Pressing the submit button will remove all user-specific data of the default user (user_id = 1). It's quick and easy.

See also:

http://www.refbase.net/index.php/Batch_SQL_modifications

That said, it would of course be nice if the web installer had an option to omit the sample data, i.e. allow the user to install refbase with a blank database.

http://www.refbase.net/index.php/Planned_feature_additions#Improvements_to_install.php

Matthias

• Oops, small typo:

> DELETE * FROM user_data WHERE user_id = 1

That should have been:

DELETE FROM user_data WHERE user_id = 1

Matthias