next release?

2006-05-29
2013-05-28
  • I started using Refbase some time ago, mainly because of the exciting prospect that it can be used as back-end database for other applications.

As far as I understand, most of these possibilities will be included in the next release. Although, the next release has been introduced, I haven't heared anything for a couple of months now.

Can there be an update about the date of release for the next version. In which I don't care that much wether it's in English or German.

Thanks for the reply.

• Hi,

> I started using Refbase some time ago,

Are you using refbase-0.8.0 (available as download from SF) or the more recent version from the CVS?

http://wiki.refbase.net/index.php/Updating_an_existing_refbase_installation

> mainly because of the exciting prospect that it can be used as
      > back-end database for other applications.

What exactly do you need or imagine?

The refbase CVS version features a SRU/W webservice that is going to be part of the next release. We were thinking of improving CQL parsing logic and adding an OpenSearch webservice. However, what's in the CVS is stable and working today.

http://wiki.refbase.net/index.php/Search/Retrieve_web_services

Rick has started to write about OpenOffice.org integration in our wiki:

http://wiki.refbase.net/index.php/OO.o_Writer_integration

> As far as I understand, most of these possibilities will be included
      > in the next release.

Yes. However, what you see in the CVS today is more or less what will be released as refbase-0.9.0. There will be a few additions and the install and update scripts as well as the readme files still need to be updated.

> Although, the next release has been introduced, I haven't heared
      > anything for a couple of months now.

That's correct, it has mainly todo with time constraints on the part of the developers. We're all doing this in our spare time.

> Can there be an update about the date of release for the next version.

Unfortunately, I cannot (and don't want) to announce an exact release date. Experience shows that these dates are almost never met and it only leads to user frustration. I understand, that it may seem equally frustrating that there is no info at all. But this is as good as we can do.

It would help us if we'd know exactly what kind of app integration you'd like to see. Do you envision an Office integration (WS Word, OpenOffice.org, Endnote, ...) or do you want to use refbase with other apps (LateX, DocBook)?

What's your workflow and where would refbase fit in?

Over the weekend, I've completed an RTF (and LateX) file output of cited references which may be a first step into a better Office integration.

Thanks, Matthias

• > Are you using refbase-0.8.0
      I use the 0.8.0 release, but after your reply I am going to look into an update.

> That's correct, it has mainly todo with time
      > constraints on the part of the developers.
      > We're all doing this in our spare time.
      That's a good thing an worth waiting for. My compliments.

> It would help us if we'd know exactly what kind
      > of app integration you'd like to see. Do you
      > envision an Office integration (WS Word,
      > OpenOffice.org, Endnote, ...) or do you want to
      > use refbase with other apps (LateX, DocBook)?
      Although I am still a MSOffice user, at my home-workplace I slowely change to OpenOffice. Beside that, I write a number of online-publications and working on an e-portfolio. Part of it gets combined with a 'online-file' on the subject. The ideal situation is, one back-end source. Untill now, refbase seems to be the best (opensource) programm.

> What's your workflow and where would refbase
      > fit in?
      Unfortunally, I don't have a fixed workflow - yet - but I would like refbase to be available on a couple of moments:
      - As a backend for citation while writing;
      - As a source for online reference;
      - As a simple collection-manager;
      - a few other uses.

> Over the weekend, I've completed an RTF (and
      > LateX) file output of cited references which
      > may be a first step into a better Office
      > integration.
      Thanks, I'll have a look at it. I expect it to be in the CVS-root.

• Hi,

> Although I am still a MSOffice user, at my home-workplace I slowely
        > change to OpenOffice. Beside that, I write a number of
        > online-publications and working on an e-portfolio. Part of it gets
        > combined with a 'online-file' on the subject. The ideal situation is,
        > one back-end source.

Yes, I agree.

refbase allows you to link to particular records or (dynamic) search result sets. This feature may come in handy when building online publications:

http://wiki.refbase.net/index.php/Linking_to_records

refbase does also offer options to build customized lists of publications. If hou haven't done already, take a look at:

http://wiki.refbase.net/index.php/Auto-updating_author/group_bibliographies

>> What's your workflow and where would refbase fit in?
        > Unfortunally, I don't have a fixed workflow - yet - but I would like
        > refbase to be available on a couple of moments:
        > - As a backend for citation while writing;

Yes, this topic was discussed recently among some of the developers. It would be very nice if the user could access refbase references from *within* MS Word or OOo. But I'm not sure yet how big (or difficult) it is to achieve this goal.

> - As a source for online reference;

Besides the above mentioned features, we have plans to provide a small bookmarklet by which you could import records from online sources (such as PubMed.gov) directly into refbase. Most of the infrastructure is already in place. For PubMed, we just need to add an "import by PMID" feature and construct the bookmarklet.

> - As a simple collection-manager;

I think that, for the foreseeable future, we'll keep the focus on scientific publications, i.e., using refbase as a general-purpose collection manager will not have high priority on our todo list. This is mainly due to the previously mentioned time constraints.

>> Over the weekend, I've completed an RTF (and LateX) file output of
        >> cited references which may be a first step into a better Office
        >> integration.
        > Thanks, I'll have a look at it. I expect it to be in the CVS-root.

These latest additions are not in the CVS yet, sorry. But I hope to upload my modifications within the next days.

Best regards, Matthias

• > Unfortunately, I cannot (and don't want) to announce an exact release date.
          > Experience shows that these dates are almost never met and it only leads to
          > user frustration. I understand, that it may seem equally frustrating that there
          > is no info at all. But this is as good as we can do.
          Yeah--I'm at fault for the last time we gave an expected date.  I feel that the number of CVS versions installed in the wild is getting bigger than our stable release version.

On the positive side, this is evidence that CVS deployment is "easy."

> The ideal situation is, one back-end source. Untill now, refbase seems to be
          > the best (opensource) programm.
          refbase does have a reasonable-enough database structure that it can be used with good success for various workflows.  Most people probably go from refbase to an intermediate format (bibtex, endnote, or copy/pasted text citations) to their document software.

Other open source software does have reasonable data structures.  Some exceed refbase for particular work flows.  (People who use only LaTeX may want to use something which uses bibtex natively--perhaps something like jabref; people who use only OO.o may want to use something which allows direct integration with their citation system with minimal fuss (perhaps  bibus).

refbase's strength is in being web-based (so allowing remote access and collaboration) & allowing people to export to enough intermediate formats that it can be used by various desktop software.

> - As a backend for citation while writing;
          This _can_ be done for OO.o.

We will likely have a macro to allow direct import into MS Word.

But normally each new paper draws only a small subset of references.  It usually doesn't hurt much to use an intermediate format & you might benefit from a more tightly integrated interface.

> Rick has started to write about OpenOffice.org integration:
          >
          > http://wiki.refbase.net/index.php/OO.o_Writer_integration
          I finished the write-up.  This can be done in refbase-0.8.0.  We may want to rename columns and/or provide an OO.o macro to make it easier to remap columns.

FWIW: I think that adding OpenDocument export will be the easiest way to use refbase with OO.o (this will be analagous to bibtex export for working with LaTeX and our data tables do differ  & integrating a database with OO.o can be "tricky" (and some site admins might not want to allow end-users direct MySQL access)).

> - As a source for online reference;
          > - As a simple collection-manager;
          I hope you have found that refbase can excel at these things.

--Rick

• To the both of you, thanks for such a comprehensive reply. Already I have read some good tips. The next time I'll have some time, I'll be updating my installation.

A few remarks:

> It would be very nice if the user could access
      > refbase references from *within* MS Word or OOo
      It might be worth doing so, with such a application Refbase could - imho - replace a number of other applications (both off- and online). At the moment I still use endnote at my desktop.

> These latest additions are not in the CVS yet,
      > sorry. But I hope to upload my modifications
      > within the next days.
      I'll be looking forward...

> refbase's strength is in being web-based (so
      > allowing remote access and collaboration) &
      > allowing people to export to enough intermediate
      > formats that it can be used by various desktop
      > software.
      As a student I already worked in 'groups' spread throughout Europe, with thanks to my studentsorganisation. I realize that even in today's time I do a lot of work online, sharing information with others. For a national NGO we're looking into the prospect for a centre for knowledge and maybe research, members might be placed throughout the country. Although neither the country (nld) as the centre are such  big ones, I - for example - live on an Island. That's why I am intrested in a direct link between refbase and desktop software; share webbased and user-end. Using it through intermediate formats is working - though limits possibilities.

But as yet, it ain't the situation forcing me to look for a solution, but a possible solution making me look into it.

> > - As a source for online reference;
      > > - As a simple collection-manager;
      > I hope you have found that refbase can excel at
      > these things.
      Excel, not that, but it's getting close to what I expect from it. I am going to look into the tips for the reference-part.

As for the collection-manager part there are just a few things missing (like a different way of using callnumber and location and flexibility in lay-out (more to do with my limited knowledge of php than other reasons)). Because I am *not* looking for a library-system, it's getting close enough to work with.

Again, thanks thanks for the replies.

Jeroen