autoconf etc

Developers
2009-04-27
2012-11-20
  • Arthur Norman
    Arthur Norman
    2009-04-27

I have seen pain rebuilding when files fetched from subversion have datestamps not in the order that they are here and when the versions of automake, autoconf and libtool that you have does not match what I have. To try to fix that I now make the configure script run a bunch of datestamp comparisons, and if it believes that "make" would feel the need to rerun autoconf (etc) it does that in a preemptive manner... and then restarts the configuration process. An effect is that you had better have autoconf (at least version 1.61) and automake and libtoolize installed, and the configure step may feel even slower than it was before (sorry). I only have this in the top-level configure script.  If you want to run the autoxxx tools more manually you can use the script "autogen.sh" that is in the top level of the release. I *HOPE* this will leave things more robust and that if people spot glitches or problems with it or can suggest improvements they will tell me. Especially if they can propose improvements!
                 Arthur

• Thomas Sturm
      Thomas Sturm
      2009-04-30

I understand that now after an "svn update" in trunk:

1. make is not sufficient in general

2. ./configure ... + make should work

3. it should never be necessary to explicitly delete cslbuild/pslbuild?

Andreas Dolzmann and I recently ran into a very bads state, where 3 appeared to be the only way out.

Thomas