Using csl-build openreduce-20081231 on Ubuntu 8.10,
the output is strange : P instead of 2, Q instead of 3, Gamma instead of c, etc.
Some ideas ?
Sounds as if it is confused about fonts somehow??? I have not seen that before. But with "on fancy" the CSL Reduce uses its own customised versions of "cmr10", "cmmi10", "cmsy10" and "cmex10" whihc should be in the reduce.fonts directory adjacant to the reduce executable - do you have other sources of fonts with names like that that might have muddled things? Otherwise I do not know at presemt. Arthur Norman
After somebody else showed me this I have now seen an example myself - and it is WEIRD. The example I see is on Scientific Linux, but I am well prepared to believe it happens on other Linux (etc). If I install a fresh version of Linux on a virtual machine and install all the development tools and comple Reduce it works OK. I tried to install as many of the optional packages as I could, and at some stage Reduce broke in the way I think you see, but after that I wrecked the VM. I am trying that all again but it is jolly tedious! So SOME package you have installed puts things in a state where Reduce fails. Sorry. I HOPE soon to at least identify and example of such a package..
Mu supposition is that the issue is that somebody else installs a font that Reduce tries to use instead of one of the ones I has, and that is REALLY messing things up.
So is there a FontConfig etc expert in the house who can look at my code and explain what I should so that I am not - please? The file trunk/csl/fox/src/FXShowMath.cpp is PROBABLY where it is.
I do FcConfigAppFontAddFile to make the private fonts that I need available to Reduce, and I REALLY want my versions to be the ones used. I further use Xft so that fonts are handled where Reduce is running rather than on some terminal that may be remote to that. Hints and pointers to just what I should do, or even well narrowed down examples showing JUST what other application to install that causes it to break will be reall helpful. Obviously better yet would be a proposed fix!
I believe I have fixed this in the subversion copy, and commente dmore in the bug tracker (as a closed bug, so if you do not enable viewing all bugs, both open and closed there you will not see it). The mathml-fonts package that some other things install clashed with what I had tried to do.