Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Option to defer encoding

Developers
2010-05-03
2013-06-03
  • Fabio Varesano
    Fabio Varesano
    2010-05-03

Hi guys, recordmydesktop rocks! I would like to have an option which enable encoding deferring.

Let me explain: when the user launch

recordmydesktop --defer

it will just capture raw images to the temp directory. Once I hit CTRL+C it won't start encoding but just exit the program.

Later, I can simply use recordmydesktop -rescue PATH_TO_WORKING_DIR to start the encoding process.

This could be really useful while using recordmydesktop in usability testing sessions where we usually have 3 to 5 consequent users to test using different invocations of recordmydesktop. Having the possibility to have the program encode later will really make things easier.

Thanks for reading and your time,

Fabio Varesano

• Daniel Kulesz
    Daniel Kulesz
    2011-08-08

Hi Fabio,

I had exactly the same problem that you describe here. Since there seemed to be no such parameter, so I examined the source code just to add such thing. And big surprise: There is an undocumented parameter named "-no-encoding" which does exactly that! The only problem is: It only works partially. It writes the cache successfully, but when you try restarting recordmydesktop with the -rescue option it runs into a segmentation fault.

The same behavior can be observed by just aborting the encoding process and trying to restart it later with the -rescue option.

(tested on Ubuntu with version  0.3.8.1+svn602-1ubuntu3)

• Anonymous
    2012-06-12

I always got "segmentation fault" when using -rescue option (Ubuntu with recordmydesktop version 0.3.8.1+svn602-1ubuntu3).

However I successfully rescued all of my crashed videos using version 0.3.7.3. So for anyone who wants to rescue
    crashed videos, try compiling version 0.3.7.3. You can replace the 0.3.8.1 binary but I think it's better to just rename it
    then copy the 0.3.7.3 binary to /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin.

Hope that helps