Encode .OUT

2009-08-04
2013-06-03
  • Hi,

I recorded my desktop recently and when I ended the recording, recordmydesktop began encoding the temporary file. Just at that moment, my whole computer shut down.

I've been about to find the img.out file in the temp directory along with the specs file. Is there a way that I can use a command line call to have recordmydesktop encode this file?

Thanks.

• recent versions of recordMyDesktop have the --rescue option.
      Assuming that the data are in a directory name something like /tmp/rMD-session-xxxx
      (where xxxx is the process id that rmd had in that particular recording),
      issuing the following command in a terminal should get you the encoded file:

~$ recordmydesktop --rescue /tmp/rMD-session-xxxx

You'll have to remove the raw data manually afterwards.

• Thanks for the hint.

I followed your instructions. It creates the new ogv file, but, my console is stuck on "Wait a moment" after going through the encoding process. I have a 66MB .out file and assume that the video information is in there, but, nothing is coming out of the rescue process. Any other ideas?

• [It creates the new ogv ... nothing is coming out of the rescue process]

Soryy, I'm not sure I understand, since these two statements
        seem to me contradictory.
        Is the ogv empty?

[my console is stuck on "Wait a moment" ]

If it gets stuck on that part and the ogv file is empty, then there might be
        a thread-related bug in the software. Which means that you might be lucky if
        you try the recovery process on another machine(of the same endianness)

On the other hand, if the program gets stuck, but the ogv file is playable,
        then you can simply kill the process and keep the video file (it still is probably
        a bug but most likely, a minor one).

In any other case, sorry I can't think of any probable solutions.

BTW, img.out is in a custom format, so any other program cannot interpret it.

• Yes, it creates an empty ogv file and then sits on "Wait a moment". I'll play around a bit more and see if I can get it working. I appreciate the advice.

• delik
    delik
    2012-05-09

I'm having the same exact problem here…
    The -rescue option uses RAM Memory, and it's doesn't write to the disk. The only thing it gives is an empty "Video.ogv" file (0 Kb)

If i try to encode a middle file of the raw data, it processes the XXX% and consuming RAM and in the end, it gives the "Segmentation Fail" Error.

If i try to encode the Last File of the Raw data, it just says

Encoding finished!
    Wait a moment please…

But nothing happens… program freezes completely…

• Anonymous
    2013-05-16

I am also facing the same issue, but I don't see any file with name "rMD-session-xxxx" in my tmp folder.