Distortion and overdride don't work in Rakarrack

Help
Kabul
2013-07-29
2014-06-26
  • Kabul
    Kabul
    2013-07-29

Hi, i'm using rakarrack 0.6.1-4 on ubuntu studio 12.04, 64 bit. It sounds very well but there is a problem: I have noticed that overdrive and distortion effects don't work. At any level of distortion, for example, the sound of my guitar is always clean, the same problem with the overdrive effect. The other effects work very well so i don't understand what is the problem..

Last edit: Kabul 2013-07-29
  • Transmogrifox
    Transmogrifox
    2013-08-06

I have seen a a number of these reports looking around at online forums, particularly with 64-bit. I am thinking there must be an optimization made by the compiler or a bad interpretation of a type which is dependent on how the program is compiled and how the compiled code is executed by the specific hardware. For example, I would venture to guess it works correctly on the packager's 64-bit system, but the same binary misbehaves on another system.

Unfortunately, I don't have a system with this problem, so I cannot reproduce it. If you want to compile some code I can send you patches to try to find out some things. I have some ideas, but no way to test whether it helps. I don't think there will be a work-around that does not involve compiling the program.

• Collette
    Collette
    2013-08-25

I think the problems comes from the GUI.
    I have a work around:

diff --git a/src/Waveshaper.C b/src/Waveshaper.C
    index f4d339c..1a5a4b7 100644
    --- a/src/Waveshaper.C
    +++ b/src/Waveshaper.C
    @@ -49,7 +49,7 @@ Waveshaper::Waveshaper()
    period_coeff = 8;
    ncSAMPLE_RATE=cSAMPLE_RATE/8.0f;
    break;
    - case 4:
    + default:
    period_coeff = 12;
    ncSAMPLE_RATE=cSAMPLE_RATE/12.0f;
    break;

YC

• Transmogrifox
    Transmogrifox
    2013-12-20

Thanks, I will check my type conversions. Probably a signed/unsigned or type promotion problem.

• Sash
    Sash
    2014-06-26

Hello! I have the same problem, everytime after a new install/re-install of my system, Rakarrack always sounds weak for some time, and then for unknown reasons to me, it comes back to its senses, so to speak. This time however, it takes time longer than usual. Can someone help me understand what is going on, and how to fix this issue?