Help
Sam May
2011-09-09
2013-05-28
  • Sam May
    Sam May
    2011-09-09

Hi,

I have a problem getting sound into the computer with JACK and the Guitar Link (which I got partly because it was mentioned as well-supported hardware on the Rakarrack site).

I can play sound through the headphones port, and also set up the patchbay with Virtual Keyboard -> Amsynth -> Rakarrack -> headphones using JACK, so I know that JACK is working with Rakarrack.

However I can't get sound from the line in. In 'Alsamixer', the Guitar Link shows as 'USB Audio CODEC' and only has a PCM Playback control, and no capture control.

Confusingly, I am able to record good sound in Audacity straight from the ALSA input, so it seems to be a JACK problem?

I know this is not strictly a Rakarrack issue but any help would be appreciated.

Output of aplay -l
    **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: PCH , device 0: CONEXANT Analog
      Subdevices: 1/1
      Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    card 0: PCH , device 3: HDMI 0
    card 1: default , device 0: USB Audio

<a href="http://imgur.com/JFFjE" title="Hosted by imgur.com">Screenshot of JACK configuration</a>

• Sam May
    Sam May
    2011-09-09

(Sorry, fixed screenshot link http://i.imgur.com/JFFjE.png)

• Sam May
    Sam May
    2011-09-09

UGH, It's very annoying not being able to edit posts. THIS IS THE ACTUAL JACK CONFIGURATION: http://i.imgur.com/3RGku.png

• Josep Andreu
    Josep Andreu
    2011-09-09

Hi

Well ….. seems a jackd configuration problem … I never see this device I can not help sp much .. but the first thing is try to use the highest samplerate …   try to use 2 periods ..  and trt to modify the output device

Josep

• Renato
    Renato
    2011-09-09

also have you selected the Guitar Link in the "Interface" drop down menu in qjackctl's settings?

• Sam May
    Sam May
    2011-09-09

Hi all,

Thanks for your suggestions. It seems to be working now! I think the patchbay was configured incorrectly.

• Hi,

Try not selecting any number of channels (default). In general, trust the default settings.

As long as your USB card (guitar link) has a unique duplex device you normally select it in the "interface" field (and below, set "audio" to duplex) instead of selecting the input and output devices separately.  That said, the latter shouldn't hurt, afaik.

To check the capture devices belonging to your card, run "arecord -l". Assuming device number 0 is listed as a capture device, this is a duplex device and you only have to bother with the interface field. By the way,  it is better if you call it "hw:default" instead of using numbers, as card numbers could change between reboots. Write it down as you won't see it as an option in the drop-down menu.

OTOH, I wonder if you have the infamous buggy USB controller… What does "lspci | grep -i usb" say?

• I wrote the last sentence incorrectly and late, forget about it. 

The patchbay is for making persistent connections. Most people just use the connect window.
    Cheers for you. Long live Rakarrack!