Rakarrack with a MIDI foot controller

Help
2011-09-05
2013-05-28
  • Lorenzo Stanco
    Lorenzo Stanco
    2011-09-05

Hi everyone. Is there anybody who used Rakarrack with a MIDI foot controller (like the Behringer FCB1010)? Does it works well? I don't have a MIDI sound card or so, I want to know if it works using a simple MIDI to USB adapter like this one:
    http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260726942691

I'm running Ubuntu Studio, but I think this does not care…

• Josep Andreu
    Josep Andreu
    2011-09-06

Hi

Rakarrack works with the Behringer FCB1010 and any kind of MIDI controller …..  What you need to know is if this USB MIDI Controller is supported by Linux, ALSA …. normally the USB MIDI controllers are well supported … but some need to receive some firmware … this firmware need to be available for Linux .. probably you can google it :-)

• Lorenzo Stanco
    Lorenzo Stanco
    2011-09-06

Thank you for your reply.

Ok, I will buy the Behringer FCB1010 and try to make it work using that MIDI to USB interface.
    If luck is not on my side, I'm going to route MIDI messages using and Arduino microcontroller in the middle. Ok, I will add some ms of latency, but I can manage it.

• Renato
    Renato
    2011-09-06

hi, what exactly should the arduino do?

• Lorenzo Stanco
    Lorenzo Stanco
    2011-09-06

I will use it if the MIDI to USB interface will not work.

The Behringer FCB1010 is connected via a standard MIDI cable to Arduino serial-in pin. So, Arduino can read and process MIDI signal from the foot pedal. Then, Arduino is connected to PC via USB, and so it can send serial port messages to a software that emulates ALSA MIDI messages.

+-----------------------+  MIDI cable      +-----------------------------------------+
       | MIDI foot controller  +----------------->| Arduino                                 |
       +-----------------------+                  |-----------------------------------------|
                                                  |                                         |
                                                  |  1. Read MIDI from the foot controller  |
                                                  |       (example CC-08)                   |
                                                  |                                         |
                                                  |  2. Create a serial port message        |
                                                  |       (ex: "CC-08" string)              |
         +------------------------------------+   |                                         |
         | PC                                 |   |  3. Send the message to PC via          |
         |------------------------------------|   |     serial port (via USB).              |
         |                                    |   |                                         |
         |  1. My software receive the        |   +-------+---------------------------------+
         |     message from serial port.      |           |
         |                                    |           |
         |  2. It create an ALSA MIDI packet. |           |
         |                                    |           |
         |  3. MIDI is sent to Rakarrack      |<----------+
         |     through ALSA connection.       |
         |                                    |                      +
         +------------------------------------+

Info about Arduino + MIDI: http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/Midi

• Renato
    Renato
    2011-09-06

ah ok, I thought you were going to use the arduino between the fcb and the midi2usb cable. Anyway from what I've read these cables should work

• Renato
    Renato
    2011-09-06

BTW if you go the arduino way you could simplify it even more using ttymidi, which basically does what you want to do but it provides an easier interface… i.e. you can do something like MIDINoteOn(note,chan) in the arduino code, and ttymidi running on the computer will spit out an alsa-midi note

• Lorenzo Stanco
    Lorenzo Stanco
    2011-09-06

You are right :) Thank you.

• Lorenzo Stanco
    Lorenzo Stanco
    2011-09-26

Just for the record… I got the Behringer foot controller before the MIDI to USB interface, so I tried to use Arduino ad described above. Using Arduino MIDI library and ttymidi on Ubuntu, it worked perfectly :)

• Renato
    Renato
    2011-09-26

great, now have fun with the pedal :)

• Lorenzo Stanco
    Lorenzo Stanco
    2011-09-29

I received the MIDI2USB cable today. It works flawlessly, just plug and play on Ubuntu 11.04 :)
    I hope this will help someone to buy these cables without worries.

• lorenzo-s

I sent you a message.

I really need a "how-to", so I can use my FCB1010 and my guitar.

Thanks a lot!