Need help configuring program

Help
Anonymous
2010-07-16
2013-05-28

• Anonymous
    2010-07-16

OK, I tried to install rakarrack, and I figured out that JACK needs to be running for it to work, but my question is, ho do I set it up?!? Everytime I try to run JACK it give me the same messages:

15:38:11.018 Startup script…
    15:38:11.019 artsshell -q terminate
    sh: artsshell: not found
    15:38:11.421 Startup script terminated with exit status=32512.
    15:38:11.421 JACK is starting…
    15:38:11.422 /usr/bin/jackd -r -dalsa -dhw:0 -r44100 -p1024 -n2
    jackd 0.118.0
    Copyright 2001-2009 Paul Davis, Stephane Letz, Jack O'Quinn, Torben Hohn and others.
    jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
    This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
    under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
    15:38:11.432 JACK was started with PID=17891.
    no message buffer overruns
    JACK compiled with System V SHM support.
    loading driver ..
    apparent rate = 44100
    creating alsa driver … hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
    control device hw:0
    ALSA: Cannot open PCM device alsa_pcm for playback. Falling back to capture-only mode
    cannot load driver module alsa
    15:38:11.506 JACK was stopped successfully.
    15:38:11.506 Post-shutdown script…
    15:38:11.507 killall jackd
    jackd: no process found
    15:38:11.923 Post-shutdown script terminated with exit status=256.
    15:38:13.561 Could not connect to JACK server as client. - Overall operation failed. - Unable to connect to server. Please check the messages window for more info.

I have no idea what server it's trying to connect to, but I need help. I'm using Ubuntu 10.04, and I'm trying to plug my guitar into the front mic-input on my Dual-boot DELL Optiplex GX620 (if that makes a difference). Nothing in the help sections of either program's website made a difference, which is why I'm here. Thank you so much for your help!

• Renato
    Renato
    2010-07-16

Hi!

If I'm not mistaken, that error means your sound card is being used by another program. JACK wants to have exclusive access to your soundcard, so before starting it, quit any program that makes sounds. If it still gives you that error, you can discover which app is using your soundcard by entering these commands in a terminal:

fuser /dev/dsp

if it gives you error (I don't use Ubuntu and can't remember exactly how this thing works there) try:

fuser /dev/snd/*

You should get a list with some numbers - those are the PIDs of the programs using your soundcard. Let's say the number is 7668, I think you can quite safely kill it with:

kill -9 7668

However, if you first want to know what that program is (you may want to save changes or whatever in the program before killing it) you can run

ps aux |grep 7668

then, if it seems safe, the above kill command.

Hope this helps!!

renato

• Transmogrifox
    Transmogrifox
    2010-07-17

http://rakarrack.sourceforge.net/general.html

The above link will help you get started.

In short I highly recommend you install qjackctl.  Use qjackctl to configure jack and get jack successfully started.  If jack isn't able to start, Rakarrack won't be able to run :(

I think by default now, Rakarrack will connect itself in Jack, but you can manually connect inputs and outputs using qjackctl if it is not connected by default.

Jack is wonderful, but it requires a bit of learning from the user to get it operating correctly.

I think proper adjustments are made when jack is installed so you probably don't need to worry about that stuff much any more.  You can squeeze more performance out of your machine by installing a real time kernel and doing some system tuning for RT audio…but first thing is to make jack applications to work :)