Nvidia Tegra2?

JimH
2010-12-21
2013-05-28
  • JimH
    JimH
    2010-12-21

I was wondering if anyone has tried, or has any insight into what performance of Rakarrack would be like on one of the newer ARM platforms such as nVIdia's Tegra2, or others of the type being used in some of the newer tablets coming to market.  Any thoughts on what would be required to get it running on the Android platform that most of these would likely be running?  Would it even be possible?

Seems like it would be an interesting platform on which to run Rakarrack.

• Kayne k
    Kayne k
    2011-02-10

I would seriously think that it would require a complete rewrite into andoirds "java" api.  That being said I think that would probably have to be a separate project AND would probably require some pretty hefty CPUs but IM speculating there.

The real problem is that android doesnt use any X11 libs at all and everything is handled by java or more correctly googles version of java.  Google java isnt the same as Sun :D.

• Transmogrifox
    Transmogrifox
    2011-02-10

I think any architecture that is supported by Linux would work.  What you need is something on which you can easily install a full Linux installation.  Debian supports the widest range of architectures I know of.  If you can install a full Debian with X11 and the works, then you should be able to compile Rakarrack directly on the architecture the same as with an Intel, AMD or PowerPC.

If you ever try this, let us know how it goes.  It may be useful to change some of the compiler flags to optimize performance.