MIDI output extension

2010-01-18
2013-05-28
  • Alex Lazarus
    Alex Lazarus
    2010-01-18

I've used Rakarrack for a few months now, it's a pretty sweet piece of software.

The midi feature works OK, but it is only capable of putting out one note at a time, so if I play a chord I get rubbish out.

I noticed that there is a source file RecChord.C which is not used anywhere in the program. Is this in development and not ready for release yet? I'll tinker with it and see if I can get any results.

I'm using rakarrack 0.3.0

Any feedback appreciated

Alex

• Alex Lazarus
    Alex Lazarus
    2010-01-18

I just looked a bit harder and realized that RecChord.C is used in the Harmonizer effect, so it doesn't do what I thought it did.

Anyway is it possible to extend the midi output feature so that it puts out multiple notes simultaneously when a guitar chord is played?

Alex

• Transmogrifox
    Transmogrifox
    2010-01-18

I think it is possible to get some degree of success, but this is a feature at which many high end commercial products fail.

We are about to make a new release at the end of this month, so this feature won't make it for this one.  However, we can put it on our TODO list for future versions.  The tools we need for doing this live within the harmonizer related code, but it would take some careful signal analysis to produce useful results.

Currently the MIDI output implementation uses the same piece of code as the tuner.  This code is looking at where the signal crosses zero and counting the amount of time that passes until the next zero crossing.

If you play a chord, this period of time is no longer directly meaningful.  At that point it takes more complicated code to determine what notes are being played.