Parse preset name

dmgeurts
2013-11-04
2013-12-22
  • dmgeurts
    dmgeurts
    2013-11-04

I would like to parse the preset name to a different program. In fact it's a python script I've written to display some text and VU outputs to a matrix display. Currently the script looks in a file for text.

Is there a way I can pull the preset name or other text out of rakarrack? Midi maybe? I know I can send midi input but I'd like to get some output... Has this ever been asked or done?

• Transmogrifox
    Transmogrifox
    2013-12-22

This hasn't been asked or done. If you are building from source you could do something as crude as printf the current preset name and pipe rakarrack it into your script. I don't have time to really implement it in MIDI any time soon.

Or, without any modification to Rakarrack you can use a feed-forward scheme. You can make your python script parse a Rakarrrack preset file, then you change to that preset using a MIDI command, and display info about the preset based on the values found in the .rkr file. That is essentially the same thing. The only trick is your Python script is responsible for record-keeping of the preset -- for example, if a MIDI controller or user changes the preset, then your information becomes invalid...

well anyway, that's the best can be done without going to the source and implementing this feature.