Sequencing effects in time

Allan
2011-06-26
2013-05-28
  • Allan
    Allan
    2011-06-26

In a live situation it is common to switch in and out guitars effects. Is it possible to sequence the choice of effects in time using rakarrack? That is, can I specify that after some predefined delay  (chosen to sychonise with a  prerecorded drum track)  that a particular combination of effects is to be used?

• Renato
    Renato
    2011-06-26

sure, you could use a sequencer that supports sending out MIDI messages (qtractor or seq24 for example) to send out the appropriate MIDI when you want it to; you'd then only need to connect the output of this sequencer to the MIDI input of rakarrack, with qjackctl or patchbay

HTH,
    renato

• Renato
    Renato
    2011-06-26

for example, IIRC to change to previous or next preset you need to send "program changes", while if you want to change to a particular preset you have to send a MIDI CC with a particular velocity… Have a look at the MIDI implementation chart in rakarrack's help for the exact things…

• Allan
    Allan
    2011-06-27

Thanks for that. It's functionality that I've been looking for for a while. It's been a while since I've used Linux - is there a particular  distribution that you would recommend for using rakkarack? I guess I'd  prefer to use ubuntu.

• Renato
    Renato
    2011-06-27

ah sorry can't help much on this… I use Archlinux but it's quite a particular choice and not one I'd recommend to everyone. I hear good things of AVLinux, might wanna check it.

• Transmogrifox
    Transmogrifox
    2011-06-29

You may want to check out GNUguitarinux.  That will give you instant gratification.  However, it's a live distribution and it can't easily be installed to hard disk, so if it doesn't have everything you wish to use, then it's better to try Fedora or Ubuntu.

Probably the best one for getting you up and running quickly with minimal fiddling is Ubuntu.  If you want to make a high-performance system with minimal kruft, then do a bare-bones Debian install, compile your own kernel, then install only the things you will use with a lightweight window manager and dock.

The laptop I use with Rakarrack is configured with a minimal Debian using PekWM and Tint2 panel.  This does the job ;)