Rotary FX

Anonymous
2011-02-08
2013-05-28

• Anonymous
    2011-02-08

Hi there.
    Pretty please with a cherry on top - is there any chance of a leslie / rotary being added at some stage?
    I'm a keyboard player and I love Rakarrack - it's the best thing for Linux and I'd much rather use Linux. Not having a rotary leslie in Rakarrack makes life hard for us organ players!
    I can use Calf Plugins but Rakarrack is much better with it's program change feature………..anyway here's hoping!
    Thanks for a great product.

• Transmogrifox
    Transmogrifox
    2011-02-10

what version are you using?  There is a Vibe (Univibe emulator) effect in 0.6.2.  Also in the git repository is an effect called "Infinity", which can be used to create some interesting rotating stereo doppler effects. 

If neither of those cut it for you then maybe when I have time I can try to figure out how to do more of a physics-based Leslie emulator. 

The Vibe was the classic organ sound from the 60's, so I think you will find it useful.
    Take care, and thanks for your input ;)

• Anonymous
    2011-02-10

Thank you transmogrifox.
    I am using the latest 0.6.2 - I've just installed it on my Ubuntu laptop.

I use Puppy Studio as well which uses older Rakarrack 0.4.2 - but I like Puppy studio as you can boot it off a usb stick and it works so well in real time.

I don't envy you having to figure out how mathmatically how a Leslie works!

• Transmogrifox
    Transmogrifox
    2011-02-11

You should check out gnuguitarinux - This distro can be written directly to a USB stick and booted in that manner.  It is based specifically on Rakarrack and uses a really minimal system w/ an RT kernel… probably comparable to puppy in that regard.

Either you haven't spent much time messing with the Vibe, or you're telling me the Vibe doesn't cut it for the sound you really want (ie, a really convincing Leslie effect and not just an emulator of the poor-man's Leslie). 

A good physics-based Leslie model will take some time to figure out, so there is no telling when I will get around to it so I'm trying to give you ideas of things that can get you the closest in the interim.   Vibe and Infinity are your best bets.  After that come creative combinations of Chorus, Phaser, Analog Phaser - and then Echotron can do some truly interesting things with proper .dly files.

• Anonymous
    2011-02-11

No I haven't messed with Vibe yet - I'll check it out this weekend thanks! I am sure it will be fine….you've been very helpful.

I did try to the latest git working (to use Infinity) and downloaded it / ran Autogen.sh but couldn't get any further………(no ./configure was created or anything)…..I'm not that clued up about git or things so I will need to read up about that.

I am sure a Leslie is low down on the list in terms of guitarists wanting new fx ….I am sure you have enough to do.
    You've provided such a lifeline to us audio folks who love Linux and loathe windows………thanks again for all of your efforts. Any demos I do with Rakarrack I'll send them along.

• Transmogrifox
    Transmogrifox
    2011-02-11

Interestingly, a lot of people use Rakarrack for synths and organs, vocals, drums - pretty much a general purpose FX processor, so the project is not driven entirely by what guitar players want.  Then, there are guitar players like me who like to try interesting effects on guitar that traditionally have been used by synth and organ players.  Many of the filter effects added to Rakarrack are really more like one would find in a synthesizer's effects line-up.

The main limitation in Rakarrack development is we are two people, currently, so not much man-power to do things quickly :)  Input from users really does make  a difference in changing priority lists.

Best Regards

• Anonymous
    2011-02-12

Hi again.
    Amazingly I got v 0.6.2 installed - didn't realise you have to install programs like autogen and automake! I'm still a linux newbie it has to be said.
    Vibe is very interesting. It makes a kind of swell sound.
    Infinity is also very nice - much more of a Dopler swirly effect.  They will be fine! It's not quite the same of course but nevertheless it's still pretty convincing.

One thing I was going to ask was how to stop the tempo sliders going above a certain value. When I move my mod wheel all the way up it moves the tempo all the way up - that can make the leslie effect too much ( ie too warbly ). Is there a way I can set a limit on the max value of the tempo slider to stop this happening please? Of course I can avoid this by only moving the mod wheel half way but when you are rocking out on the hammond sometimes you are not thinking about how far up to push a wheel!

Perhaps I could have a bash at doing a skin for you as you've put so much work in….I'll have to have a play around with my graphics packages.

• Anonymous
    2011-02-12

Sorry for all these posts but better to get feedback before spending ages on implementing things……..
    The Calf plugin pack is pretty good for a Leslie………you can control it via midi as well which is important ( for the rotary slow/fast) …….so I send the output of Rakarrack to the calf rotary fx and it's ok…… no big deal if you can't find the time to put a Leslie into Rakarrack.