Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Explorer background color

2011-09-17
2013-05-30
  • Miles Ahead
    Miles Ahead
    2011-09-17

I use Fractal Flames for wallpapers. Since the background is black, white background color in Explorer is stark white by contrast. I enabled the grid lines for details view and that helped quite a bit. But since you have found how to change the color for alternating lines, I was wondering if you could change the background color for all lines? That would remove the glare without using a theme with shell.dll which tends to be unstable.

• Mike Connor
    Mike Connor
    2011-09-17

Hi, not entirely sure what you mean here, but the bright white background in explorer windows used to drive me nuts. I solved this by using this program;

http://leewhittington.deviantart.com/art/AveFolderBG-For-Windows7-32Bit-166914444

This allows me to have a nice light grey or similar background for my explorer windows and also gives a "two-tone" effect in details view which is quite pleasant.

Regards….Mike Connor

• Mike Connor
    Mike Connor
    2011-09-17

There is also a 64 BIT version, ( which I actually use).

• Miles Ahead
    Miles Ahead
    2011-09-17

I've tried that app a bunch of times. Does not work for me.  Also a guy on a forum made me a custom theme with Explorer background Antique White color.  But every time I log out, then log back in, Aero disappears and I get basic theme. I have to restore registry from an ERUNT save to get Aero back.  What is the mechanism you use to color the odd line in Explorer? There must be some way to change the color of all lines? If you are in there altering the window I don't understand why a color cannot be laid on top.

• Miles Ahead
    Miles Ahead
    2011-09-18

I've used that app. It's way flaky on my system. What I'm talking about is you have options in your program on Misc Tab.  Grid Lines for Details View and under it Alternate Row Color in Details View.  What I can't figure out is if you can change the color of the alternate row, why can't you change the color of every row? Is it built into Windows?  A registry setting?  I just don't get it.

• Mike Connor
    Mike Connor
    2011-09-18

I think that was added to QTTabBar to aid the contrast between rows. If you want more colour options and still have tabs, then try this ;

http://www.explorerplusplus.com/

Regards…..Mike Connor

• Mike Connor
    Mike Connor
    2011-09-18

By the way, I am not the author of QTTabBar, just a user, so I can't change anything in the program.

Regards….Mike Connor