Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Does anyone else experience system freezes?

Help
2004-12-14
2013-04-11
  • Noam Sturmwind
    Noam Sturmwind
    2004-12-14

See http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1070552&group_id=41359&atid=430388

Is anyone else experiencing this bug where the system freezes for several seconds (except for the mouse pointer) at random intervals while playing vorbis files in iTunes?

I'm going to start debugging this shortly, after I finish writing exams. I'd like to know if I'm the only one experiencing this or not.

Would anyone else like to help debug this? (Especially someone familiar with QuickTime component!)

• Damien Uern
      Damien Uern
      2004-12-22

Yes, I experience this. I was talking to people on IRC and they experience it also.

Running itunes 4.7 on OS X 10.3.7. Latest ogg plugin.

I hope it gets solved soon, it makes itunes pretty much unusable.

• Tim Allen
      Tim Allen
      2004-12-22

Oh, is *that* what's causing these momentary freezes? I've had the symptoms, but never made the connection with iTunes.

• I experience this too, but only in QuickTime Player. I can't remember having these kinds of freezes in iTunes, but then again, I mostly only play lots of ogg files in iTunes when I'm not doing anything else on my Mac.

• Jeremy
      Jeremy
      2004-12-31

there is a patched binary that you can download that will solve most of the freezes.

if you go into general discussions you should see the subject [PATCH] near the top. there are links farther down of compiled plugins for both windows and OS X.

• Noam Sturmwind
      Noam Sturmwind
      2005-01-20

jpetzold, that's an old patch which already has been incorporated into the CVS source tree (judging by the lack of BeginMediaEdit calls in the current source). So that won't help, unfortuantely.

I've been able to reproduce the freezes in QuickTime Player now, meaning that I can attach gdb (which iTunes won't allow) and start doing some debugging... if only I knew what I was doing!

Can someone advise me on how I should be debugging this with gdb? Or should I be using some sort of profiling tool, and if so, what?