Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Here it is...

2005-09-19
2013-04-11
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)
  • Arek Korbik
    Arek Korbik
    2005-09-19

I've spent some time investigating the problems with the old code of the oggvorbis component - it didn't work on my 10.4 + QT 7 system.

Well, after rewriting and changing some of the functionality - it seems to be working now, or at least, the most important at the moment, ogg/vorbis playback function is working. The binaries are available at:

http://zskl.zsk.p.lodz.pl/~skali/oggvorbis_r24.dmg

The resulting source code is a bit "unreadable", but the component seems to be working fine. I plan to make the source code available as soon as I can find some time to clean it up, and maybe even finish the work on some of the remaining issues. So, in a couple of weeks probably.

Right, the remaining issues. For some strange reasons metadata in iTunes stopped working completely. You still can use the 1.0d8 to import the songs, and get some tags ;) It doesn't work with network streams, neither. (Other thing is, iTunes doesn't even try to use the component to play ogg streams...) I haven't even touched the exporter part. And some less critical error checking is missing at the moment. But it's perfectly usable, in my experience, to play not-completely-broken vorbis files.

I'm quite new to QT, or Mac at all, and have only one machine to do testing. Thus, I can't guarantee it will work on your machine, but I'll be glad to get any feedback, and try to solve the problems.

I believe the requirements are at least QT 7 (for metadata handling, which, ironically, doesn't work in iTunes) but I'm not sure about Tiger - It is still a SoundManager component, not a CoreAudio one, so... The CA example codec wasn't that helpful after all. (And there's still matter of an importer component anyway). And, at the moment, the new component requires ogg and vorbis frameworks installed (which I included with the component in the .dmg file)

OK, I'll let you try it now. Any comments are welcome. I'll go and work on the source a bit...
    Arek

• Joshua Root
      Joshua Root
      2005-09-19

Awesome! Thanks so much for doing this. I just tried it and it does indeed work. :D

• Nathan Gray
      Nathan Gray
      2005-09-19

Hey, that's great!  Please do release the code soon and we can all help try to solve the existing problems.

• Deepmoon
      Deepmoon
      2005-09-19

Been waitin for this one for a while... nice going

• Lincoln Quirk
      Lincoln Quirk
      2005-09-19

It works on 10.3.9, iTunes 5, Quicktime 7. Awesomely. Thank you.

• Gabriel
      Gabriel
      2005-09-20

Awesome!  Can't wait to try it out.  Any chance of a Windows compile?

• Yay! Thank you very much for getting the vorbis component working again.

Hopefully there'll be a way to improve performance (in particular that terrible startup delay).

• It yet didn't work on Tiger 10.4.2, but I might have to restart for some...

Anyways A great thanks for the effort!

• Deepmoon
      Deepmoon
      2005-09-21

I'm not able to stream from a distributed playlist made with the linux daarpa server. Since i have neither windows or another mac, I can't test it further. This could be a fault in the daarpa server but I don't count on it cuz the deamon searches for oggs.

• Michael Knight
      Michael Knight
      2005-09-21

Awesome work Arek, it works well for me. I'd encourage you to get the code public ASAP just in case something bad happens to you (e.g. car crash, Apple conspiracy, etc.)

This is valuable stuff! :)

• none
      none
      2005-09-22

WFM.

Thanks, good job, I've been waiting for this since I bought my iBook in July.

Nice playback quality, no noticable hit on performance.

• JamesB
      JamesB
      2005-09-22

Yes, I second the request for a Windows compile. It's been frustrating since I "upgraded" to Quicktime 7 (thru iTunes 5) not to have access to my Vorbis files.

• Tim Allen
      Tim Allen
      2005-09-25

Woohoo! Thankyou thankyou thankyou!

Do you have any leads on the iTunes metadata thing, or will I be updating my Vorbis-handling Applescript to import artist, album and track-name info in addition to track-number info?

• erwin vrolijk
      erwin vrolijk
      2005-09-26

Hi, Thanks man! This rocks!

I also tried making this qtcomponent work under qt7, but i didn't had time enough to make in useable, but luckaly you did!

Hope you can release the sources soon, so we can optimize things.

• troplin
      troplin
      2005-09-27

works under qt 7.0.2 / os x 10.4.2 / iTunes 5.0.1

btw I always wondered why iTunes doesn't display the bitrates on ogg vorbis files...

• Great! Finally someone managed to fix this. Now I have a good reason to finally migrate to Tiger, I just need to find some time though... :)

Since this sourceforge project seems to be dead, it may be a good idea to start a new one, and put the source code there. Unless of course, someone from the original project is still alive and gives you access...

troplin: iTunes only seems to display the correct bitrates for the 'native' formats, being MP3, AAC & stuff. I don't think we'll ever manage to get this right, unless Apple changes something. Also, iTunes' equalizer, volume normalizer and visualizer don't work at all with this plugin, because playback seems to be handled exclusively by QuickTime. I hope this can be fixed, but I'm afraid this will require a more thorough rewrite of the QT component into a Core Audio thingy.

• erwin vrolijk
          erwin vrolijk
          2005-09-29

I share your thoughts about starting a new project, or gaining access to this project.

I think it's a good idea to give the original project owners a loud wakeup call via email, and if they don't respond just start a new project.

Talking here somwhere on a forum in the depths of an abandonned project just isn't the way to go.

• Arthur Wiebe
            Arthur Wiebe
            2005-09-29

Why doen't we takeover this project? Since it is abandoned. I can get to that right away.

• erwin vrolijk
              erwin vrolijk
              2005-10-01

We need to wait until the author of this fix, Arek Korbik, responds and releases te sources.

• David Wheeler
      David Wheeler
      2005-09-28

That's so awesome! I have 2 songs that would not import to iTunes if you'd like them for bug-fix purposes... not too phased myself, just stoked that it works!

• By the way, this also works in Panther with QT 7 (not with QT 6.5). Metadata works in QT Player, not in iTunes 5...

• Keith Page
      Keith Page
      2005-09-29

OS X 10.4.2, itunes 5.0.1(4), Quicktime 7.0.2

I can not get this to work on this system. I tried the original 1.08 on the main page which crashed itunes. After a bit of searching i replaced that component with the r24 version and it simply ignores the request to play the file. When i download the podcast it says the file is corrupt or unplayable.

:(

• Keith Page
        Keith Page
        2005-10-03

I just wanted to say... i can't follow instructions. Got this working on my system.

• Yuan Yijun
      Yuan Yijun
      2005-09-30

Hi,
      when can there be a win32 release?

• Alon Levy
      Alon Levy
      2005-10-02

Works great here! Using iTunes 5.0.1 and OSX 10.4.2 . I wonder if the source might be available, I'm assuming its Xcode project based? I don't mind if it needs some work - I'd love to try and compile it here anyway.

1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)