Menu

iTrek CF and Zaurus problems

GPS units
2004-01-16
2004-01-18
  • Randall DuCharme

Greetings,

I ordered an iTrek CF for my Zaurus which arrived yesterday.  I couldn't get it to work with qpeGPS but could get it working somewhat with QCfGPS ( I could see a steady flow of data ) and with zGPS.  In the process of fiddling around with it however, I seem to have lost the ability to initialze the card.  The light never comes on.  cardctl behaves as expected, but resume doesn't activate the card either.  I was fooling with baud rates in zGPS and wonder if it was somehow possible to screw up the device.  The reset options in QCfGPS don't do anything either. 

Any tips would be most graciously appreciated.

Kind Regards

• Randall DuCharme

I failed to mention that I'm using the SL-5500 with the Sharp 3.10 ROM.

Thanks

• Arnim Läuger

Arnim Läuger - 2004-01-17

Do you get a fix with zGPS?
      I saw a similar behaviour with my Holux GM-270. I.e. after playing with zGPS the unit was set to SiRF mode instead of NMEA mode. QpeGPS and gpsd weren't able to talk to the device anymore.
      The light never went on and even when the unit got a fix it did not even flash as it did in NMEA mode.

You could try to set it back to NMEA mode with the vendor software under Windows. Maybe this can be achieved with other programs that support the SiRF chipset. On the other hand, your problem is related to something else...

Good luck!

• Randall DuCharme

Thanks for your thoughts.  I'm presently unable to get it working with any application at any setting, be it zGPS or the Windwoes tool.  I didn't think that I had changed the interface protocol from NMEA, but I might have.  zGPS now seems to 'hang' pretty easily too.   I hate to try to send the unit back if the problem is 'operator error'. 

• Ralf Haselmeier

Ralf Haselmeier - 2004-01-17

Did you try a "factory reset" from qcfgps ?
        (http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/qpegps/qcfgps_0_1_arm.ipk?download)

• Randall DuCharme

Greetings,

Yes, I did try all of the resets from qcfgps.  Several times actually.  I was doing a little more fiddling today with zGPS and have noticed that if I put into SiRF mode, it seems to locate satellites.  The data it displays (long, lat, alt, heading etc) is incorrect so I'm beginning to think somehow that I inadvertently got it into SiRF mode but cannot get it out. 

• Randall DuCharme

Just an update:  I found a Windwoes utility that allowed me to set it back into NMEA mode.  Apparently I got it into SiRF mode somehow.   It appears to be working now.  Guess I'll try to find the protocol & specs for the 270, build a cross compiler and figure out how to make this happen on the Z. 
      Thanks all and sorry for the wasted bandwidth.