Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Using a movie file for a menu background

Help
Ted Onley
2009-08-11
2013-05-20
  • Ted Onley
    Ted Onley
    2009-08-11

I'm trying to create a menu with a short movie as the background.  I don't get any errors in the DVD build process, but the background has no audio when I play the DVD.  I noticed that there is no audio information associated with the movie when I look at the background properties - where as the movie file I add to the DVD do show audio properties.  I've even taken the audio from the movie and added it as an audio track to the background, but I get a warning that the length of the audio does not match the length of the video for the menu.  If I ignore that warning and try to build the DVD, the process fails.

I'm clearly missing something - but I can't figure out what.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Varol Okan
      Varol Okan
      2009-08-12

Yep you are missing the fact that the you discovered a bug.

Let me see how easy / hard this one is to overcome.

Actually if you add the audio file and it is in the right format ( 48kHz, 224kbps ac3 ) you should have your audio track ...

Varol :)

• Ted Onley
      Ted Onley
      2009-08-12

Well, I used Avidemux to create my ac3 file, and I still got the warning about the length of the audio.  I went ahead and tried to build the DVD, and it still failed.

The version of QDVDAuthor I'm using is 1.0600 (Dec. 1 2008).  I'm runing on Debian Lenny, so my sources.list has:

deb-src http://www.debian-multimedia.org lenny main

I installed using apt-get - could that be an old version?

Thanks for the quick response!

tao

• Varol Okan
        Varol Okan
        2009-08-13

Yep, version 1.6 is 5 versions old and a lot has changend and been fiexed in between.

I woul recommend to download the latest sources and compile them yourself. you need gcc, Qt 3.x,-devel and Qt 4.x-devel to do so.

> ./configure -n --wget-buttons-library --wget-transitions --wget-masks
        > sudo ./configure -n --install

Should get you there. It is at least worth a try.

• Ted Onley
      Ted Onley
      2009-08-13

Thanks!  I'll give that a try.  I just get nervous installing software outside of apt-get - I like the idea that all dependencies are managed for me.  I'm pretty sure I have the libraries listed above, and gcc.

I'll let you know how it goes!

Ted

• Ted Onley
      Ted Onley
      2009-08-14

I installed 1.11 (along with the qt tools), and I'm still not able to get audio with the movie background.  I still get the warning about the length difference when I try to add the audio track as well.

:(

tao

• Varol Okan
      Varol Okan
      2009-08-15

This is the line I used to prepare the audio track for the DVDMenu and it worked for me using the audio_track.ac3 file.

ffmpeg -i audio_track.mp3 -ar 48000 -ab 224k -ac 2 -acodec ac3 audio_track.ac3

The Warning about different lengths is because of the detected length vs the actual length. There is a lot that can be said about video-audio synchronization. Bottom line it is not 100%. Sorry :(

Ps. I hope you like 1.11.0 better ;)