KDE4 QT4

Help
2006-10-18
2013-05-14
  • Matteo
    Matteo
    2010-01-08

Thanks. I'm looking forward to see it in action. I'll probably test it during the weekend.

BTW, the Qalculate! plasmoid (developed by me) is going to be included in KDE SC 4.4 (kdeplasma-addons). I've also developed a KRunner (http://userbase.kde.org/KRunner) based on libqalculate. It is quite stable now but it didn't make it to 4.4. It will be probably included in KDE SC 4.5. Even better, the plans are to make it the default calculator runner if libqalculate is found on compile time.

So, there are some ways to use Qalculate! in KDE4 even if the GUI has not been ported yet.

• Alex Dănilă
    Alex Dănilă
    2012-02-19

Hi,
    I'll try to work on porting Qalculate to Qt4, at least. The first question if someone else already worked on this, I wouldn't duplicate work.
    Thanks

• Alex Dănilă
    Alex Dănilă
    2012-03-04

Hi,
    I have a basic port to KDE4/Qt4: there is a hardcoded path, the application uses KDE3/Qt3 support libs, and some things are commented out such as to make it compile.
    Could I receive the right to upload a version, when I fix the most important stuff?
    Thank you,
    Alex

• Alex Dănilă
    Alex Dănilă
    2012-03-10

Hi Jonathan,
    I was not able to attach a file to the feature request. I have uploaded a copy of the tree to ftp://ftp.cetaura.com/git-clone.7z  . I'll be away for some days, but hopefully that server will still be online when you read this. It should compile and install cleanly, even if functionality is missing.
    Alex

• Thanks for posting the ftp link to the files.  I have retrieved them.  I'll try to look at your code and upload to git in the next week or two.

• Alex,
    I see that you named the executable "kqalculate".  What do you recommend for the name of the git branch?  I was thinking "qalculate-kde4", but I am open to suggestions.

• Alex Dănilă
    Alex Dănilă
    2012-03-15

Hi Jonathan,
    qalculate-kde4 is ok for the branch name, please create it.
    The name change was quick change to make exe run correctly, since I'm not yet up to speed with cmake and KDE (with git neither). I'll try to come back with more work the next week, and maybe ask for some help to make it ready for Debian packaging, so that we can get it back into distributions in a not too long time.
    Alex

• Alex,

OK, I have pushed your new git repository for qalculate-kde4 to sourceforge and have made you a developer.  Let me know if you have any trouble pulling/pushing.

I did test the code.  I was able to compile and run it on Ubuntu.  I had to do a root install.  Running locally briefly showed the calculator window and then crashed.  I have also successfully compiled on Mac OS X Lion, but it also crashes immediately.

Thanks for working on this!  Hopefully this will generate some interest in the project again.  For future development correspondence, I kind of prefer to use the qalculate-devel mailing list, but the forums are OK too.

Jonathan

• Alex Dănilă
    Alex Dănilă
    2012-04-12

Hi everyone,

Qalculate with KDE4 (currently kqalculate) is in state which is usable for me. The most obvious bug until now is that the expression feedback is missing (the small text that appears under the expression editor).
    Please install and give me your feedback on what are the gravest problems so I can prioritize.
    cmake .
    make
    make install (as root)
    You may get some missing dependencies, but I hope you can manage them.
    Also, if someone could help with compiling de doc directory, it would be great.

Thank you,
    Alex

• Alex Dănilă
    Alex Dănilă
    2012-05-05

Hi,
    I have prepared two Debian packages:
    ftp://ftp.cetaura.com/kqalculate_0.9.7.9_i386.deb
    ftp://ftp.cetaura.com/kqalculate_0.9.7.9_amd64.deb
    Please try them out and report the problems.
    Thank you,
    Alex

• Alex, thanks for continued progress.  I can confirm a mostly working "kqalculate" on Ubuntu (12.04).  The "Mode" dropdown does not expand beyond the first tier, and so those options cannot be changed.  I was also able to install on Mac OS X, but it crashes when I try the "to" functionality.