Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

future of Qalculate!

2011-06-01
2013-05-14
  • I guess it has been over 2 years since I became an admin for this project.  My original purpose was to facilitate a bug-fix and build-update release, which we have done.  Since then the project has continued to languish despite many inquiries and bug reports from users.  I personally do not have the time or expertise to do much myself.  However, I am very open to providing git access to interested developers (anyone?).

One thing I have been thinking about is forking the project.  I would like remove many "extra" features (symbolic calculations, plotting, etc.) and leave (what I see) is the best part of Qalculate, a fantastic calculator with units support.  Of course, I am sure there will be many differing opinions about what features are important, but I think we should at least have a discussion.  For example, many reported bugs are related to symbolic calculations:  cutting this feature out would simplify maintenance of the code considerably.  There are many other computer algebra and plotting programs out there, but few that do units as well as Qalculate.

There have been many requests for porting to Windows and/or adding support for Qt4.  I think Qt4 should be the future for Qalculate! whether the project is forked or not.  Again, interested developers are needed to make this happen.  I am happy to do testing (on Linux and Mac OSX), maintain the git source tree, and make releases, but I am not able to do the coding myself.

Please speak up if you would like to see Qalculate move forward.

Regards,
    Jonathan

• RGB
    RGB
    2011-06-26

One thing I have been thinking about is forking the project. I would like remove many "extra" features (symbolic calculations, plotting, etc.) and leave (what I see) is the best part of Qalculate, a fantastic calculator with units support. Of course, I am sure there will be many differing opinions about what features are important, but I think we should at least have a discussion. For example, many reported bugs are related to symbolic calculations: cutting this feature out would simplify maintenance of the code considerably. There are many other computer algebra and plotting programs out there, but few that do units as well as Qalculate.

Fully agree with your idea. For plotting and symbolic calculations there are several opensource projects like (wx)Maxima, there is no need for that on a small (but powerful) calculator.
    The biggest force on Qalculate! is units handling, let's concentrate on that!
    BTW, I would love to see qalculate! ported to Qt4.
    Cheers

• Hi folks,

Qalculate has a great strength: it has a library. Many CAS has the focus on (only) the user interface and leave a few oportunities to develop with their tecnology: they doesn't have a great library system fo independent developers.

Is easy to see the advantages that have *lib*Qalculate (is a great deal): for example on KDE we have two projects wich use *lib*Qalculate:
    - Plasma Qalculate Widget and
    - Cantor Qalculate backend

Indeed, developers can create apps based on *lib*Qalculate and users can enjoy the features without have an (official) port for Qt/KDE yet :)

I'm worry about the posibility of remove support for some of the best features (ideas) that Qalculate has: symbolic calculations.

I think that symbolic calculations is a great feature and can be use to build more software based on *lib*Qalculate. As a independent developer, I'm planning to write a app (function plotter, yes another :)) based on *lib*Qalculate and Qt, I guess that (like me) are many others that are considering write their math apps with *lib*Qalculate: becouse the many features and becouse is a library :)

Please, if you want to remove something, do it on the applicacion Qalculate and *not* on *lib*Qalculate. I know this is free software, so if you need help with bugs, new features etc (for *lib*Qalculate) then I'm in ;) … please consider this as a support for the project.

Best regards,
    Percy Triveño

pd.

Account on SourceForge
    https://sourceforge.net/users/aucahuasi

Account on gitorious
    https://gitorious.org/~aucahuasi

KDE id:
    aucahuasi

• Fabien R
    Fabien R
    2011-09-08

Hello,

Maybe this is naive but I would like to know if it is wise to port qalculate to android.

Regards,
    Fabien

• Ron Jensen
    Ron Jensen
    2011-10-06

I too just wandered by wondering if there was a qalculate version for android. It would be great to have a portable version. :)

• rjrich
    rjrich
    2012-01-17

I am relatively new to linux and to Qalculate. I had been searching for calculators that could also serve as CAS systems and at least handle complex numbers. My "test" of an acceptable calculator was one that knew that e^(i*pi) = -1. Qalculate was one of the few calculator emulators that satisfied my criteria. From my use of it thus far, I find Qalculate to be nearly ideal. It is as easy and intuitive to use as a standard calculator, but it can do many advanced functions as well. My hope is that it will persist in its current form and not be allowed to die or be transformed into something different. If whomever is continuing its maintenance and development needs to drop some functionalities, the only thing I would suggest dropping is the plotting functions. Other than that, I value highly the abiity to do standard calculations along with some degree of symbolic math. Beyond this, because I still use Mac OS X and sometimes Windows, it would be handy to have versions of Qalculate for Mac OS X and Windows as well as linux, but I hope that at least the linux version will continue to be maintained. Thank you.

• Fabien R
    Fabien R
    2012-05-09

I too just wandered by wondering if there was a qalculate version for android. It would be great to have a portable version. :)

I'm trying to cross compile the library for Android.
    It's quite a struggle…