Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Pysol 2.0 Won't Start

Help
Alex
2012-06-03
2013-04-25
  • Alex
    Alex
    2012-06-03

Running Pysol 2.0 with the card set.. I don't play it regularly but my father does so I can't say exactly what may have caused it to stop working, there doesn't seem to be any error message the system will "think" for a moment then do nothing, the process is there in the text message, I've tried "ending" the process and restarting to no effect, and after the second attempt the process can not even be ended by this method.

I've also tried deleting via Revo Uninstaller and reinstalling with no change… my Dad really enjoys the game so I'm hoping someone can help me out here.. thanks!

Windows 7 64bit

• Hairspring
    Hairspring
    2012-06-03

I'm not familiar with running it on Windows, I use Linux, so take this advice with a pinch of salt.  Maybe if you run it by starting it from within a 'terminal' you may see some error messages that will help.

So start a 'dos box', e.g. by 'start' / all programs / accessories / command, and when you get the command line prompt, try typing pysolfc and the 'enter' key.  Or maybe you have to navigate to where pysol is installed.  Possibly you'll need to type 'python pysolfc', again perhaps navigating to where python is installed and with a full path to where pysolfc is.

Sorry to be so vague, perhaps someone else can fill in the details.  If nobody pops up within a few days, post again and I'll get hold of an XP or Vista box and give you more accurate instructions, though I'll still be relying on the recipe working the same on W7 because I don't have access to that.

• Alex
    Alex
    2012-06-04

How *very* interesting, when run from a command prompt window by simply typing pysol in its folder the game ran as normal.. however when I quit the game it said there were errors and it had generated pysol.exe.log (afterward I tried running with the shortcut as normal still no go) however here are the contents of the error log:

Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "pysollib\init.pyc", line 163, in init
      File "subprocess.pyc", line 587, in __init__
      File "subprocess.pyc", line 700, in _get_handles
      File "subprocess.pyc", line 745, in _make_inheritable
    WindowsError:  The handle is invalid

• Alex
    Alex
    2012-06-04

and also, thank you for the help, this is more than I've been able to get until now :-D

• Hairspring
    Hairspring
    2012-06-04

Hi Aladinsane, I don't know the reason for the error on quitting, but let's ignore that for now.  To get the shortcut working, try right clicking on it, examine properties.  In there I think there'll be a path to the executable and a setting for the current working directory (which should be the directory in which you were successful when using the command prompt).

I'm quite surprised that uninstalling and reinstalling from scratch didn't solve it.  I guess the uninstaller didn't clean out all the relevant settings.

If you don't get joy with fixing the shortcut, we can look at setting up another shortcut.  Let us know how you get on, even if it's solved.

I know you'll label me as a useless zealot, but my life is so much easier, since moving from Windows to Linux.  I know it has a reputation for being geeky, and it's true that if you want that kind of life there are versions of Linux that give it in spades, but in recent years there's been much progress on friendly versions.  I'm teaching senior citizens to use Ubuntu 12.04, and they love it.  And when you get into difficulties, the Ubuntu forums are really welcoming.  Pysolfc is in the Ubuntu software centre, just a click to install! :)  So it might be worth getting your father to give it a try.

• Hairspring
    Hairspring
    2012-11-16

Aladinsane, as I wrote back in June, "Let us know how you get on, even if it's solved".

I can't stress enough how important that is.  If people just fade away and don't report the outcome, IT DEMOTIVATES HELPERS.

And, round here, we need all the motivated helpers we can scrape together! :)

• Alex
    Alex
    2012-11-21

I must apologize for dropping off… Hairspring, as an occasional linux dabbler I won't label you as such, in fact I just installed a lightweight distro on an old PC that I plan to give away, though getting my father to adopt something new is a pretty big challenge.. change is NOT one of his favourite things.

and as for pysol, it seems to have decided to START working as randomly as it decided to STOP working.. *shrug*

Thanks everyone!

• Hairspring
    Hairspring
    2012-11-21

Thanks ALadInsane, brilliant news, both the starting working and the "Linux for Dads"!  I know what you mean, some are very resistant to change, but I've lost count of how many infested Windows machines I've had to clean up… if your father has a choice between a slightly different system or something vulnerable to malware perhaps he'll see the light.

I hope it doesn't stop working again.  If it does we'll get back on the case.