Here is some current information for those of you ordering yourself a
new "Quad" Quadro-based Mac for doing Stereo 3D visualization. You will
also need a good CRT, a stereo signal emitter, and shutter glasses. =20
Stereo 3D glasses & emitters:
- More expensive: StereoGraphics
- Less expensive: NuVision3D
Thanks to LCD dominance, it is getting mucher harder to find a good CRT.
You may need to hunt around a bit and perhaps buy "pre-owned".
The critical monitor specifications for Stereo 3D are:
- Must be a CRT (not an LCD).
- Should be as big as you can afford (20-22").
- HD15 VGA input (DVI very rare).
- Vertical refresh must be at least 120 Hz.
- Horizontal sync frequency must be at least 130 kHz (ideally 140 kHz).
Note that the last point is CRITICAL. Do not buy a CRT monitor for
stereo 3D until you have confired that it can do a horizontal sync of at
least 130 kHz. Beware of consumer monitors have horizontal sync limits
of 80-120 kHz and thus cannot do stereo well.
Good stereo-capable CRT displays still available NEW:
- Philips 202P73=20
- Iiyama Vision Master Pro 514 / HM204DT
Good stereo-capable displays that are discontinued (buy USED on eBay,
- IBM ThinkVision C220p (discontinued)
- HP p1230 CRT Monitor (P9613W) (discontinued)
- DELL p1230 (discontinued)
- Sony GDM-C520K (discontinued)
- NEC FP2141SB-BK (discontinued)
- NEC-Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070SB-BK (discontinued)
- Sun X7149A (discontinued)
- ViewSonic, P225FB (H-sync: 127 kHz - good for 1280x960 @ ~110 Hz)
- Samsung SyncMaster 1100 DF (H-sync: 121 kHz)
- Sun X7149A (H-sync: 121 kHz)
- ViewSonic G220f/fb, G810, G90f/fb
- Philips 201B40, 201B45
- NEC Accusync 120
- Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 930SB
- Samsung SyncMaster 1000 P, 997DF/997MB=20
See: http://monitors.alege.net for info on tons of monitors, old & new.
Warren L. DeLano, Ph.D. =20
. DeLano Scientific LLC =20
. 400 Oyster Point Blvd., Suite 213 =20
. South San Francisco, CA 94080 USA =20
. Biz:(650)-872-0942 Tech:(650)-872-0834 =20
. Fax:(650)-872-0273 Cell:(650)-346-1154
. mailto:warren@... =20