Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Dual Monitors

Developers
2009-12-03
2013-05-28
  • matt.mcaughan
    matt.mcaughan
    2009-12-03

I'm a fish out of water when it comes to python. Currently pykeylogger only gives me half my desktop. If clicking the monitor pykeylogger isn't running in you get captures of the wrong screen.

Understand it may be ImageGrab library doesn't support screen shots that capture the virtual screen dimensions. Then again it could be the use of GetMetrics(0) and GetMetrics(1) instead of GetMetrics(CXVIRTUALSCREEN), GetMetrics(CYVIRTUALSCREEN) which returns the virtual desktop resolution.

What are the chances of getting a release with something along the lines of what is show here http://bytes.com/topic/python/answers/576924-win32ui-vs-wxpy-screen-capture-multi-monitor

Or if it is just an ImageGrab problem is this patch incorporated in a more recent version? http://old.nabble.com/-PATCH-Make-Win32-ImageGrab-work-with-multiple-monitors-td17858270.html

I can probably cobble the code together easy enough myself.  Just don't know if I can package and build it the "right way". Seems like a nice feature the product should have anyways so asking for it here.

• nanotube
    nanotube
    2009-12-04

Hi,
    Thanks for your detailed message.

I don't have the ability to test things out on windows with dual screen… But my dual screen capture on linux works fine, so indeed it must be something specific to the windows code, which indeed uses ImageGrab from the PIL library.

The PIL patch you mentioned seems to still not be incorporated into the latest release of PIL, so unless I go and package my own, which i am reluctant to deal with (at least for now), that's out.

If you are up for testing out some stuff, i'd be up for trying to get this working. If you could try the CVIRTUALSCREEN and see if that helps, or try the recipe from bytes.com that you linked, and let me know if that helps any? I'd be up for helping you out with the code, or even pushing out a git branch with the mods for you to test.

Let me know…

• Carson
    Carson
    2011-01-13

I read all the other threads on the dual monitor issue and they all basically point to this one.  I am not a coder unfortunately :-(  I'm not sure how to run that patch to correct this problem (do I have to add it to the source and recompile?).  Can you make some suggestions or point me to some info on how to do that.  The links above didn't seem to provide much info for me on that. 

FYI, I originally downloaded the source, found the nag screen code, altered it and tried to compile.  I was able to create an executable that installed fine, but it said it was missing some DLL's when I tried to run it so I ponied up and paid for it.  That is the extent of my coding skills.  I have done some editing of various php/java codes and even compiled a C# program w/ a tutorial, but its all walking in the dark to me.

• Carson
    Carson
    2011-01-28

Anyone throw me a bone here or am is this way too complex for my skill level?