re.member
2013-10-14
2013-10-16
  • re.member
    re.member
    2013-10-14

Hi.
    Great software!
    I'm having trouble trying to get into the control panel. I have searched through the posts but found no answer. The issue I'm having (windows 7 x64) is as soon as I hit the control combo, the password prompt comes up, but then the whole screen freezes... and then just lags, and lags.

I can move the mouse (with lag), but can't select any window. Can't type the password or anything in the prompt. The icon in taskbar doesn't even show entirely. It seems like the script is running infinitely in the background. Can't even kill it using task manager. I have to kill the computer and restart it.

I've tried changing the access combo in the .ini file. I've even downloaded the source and compiled it successfully, but the issue remains. Any ideas?

• nanotube
    nanotube
    2013-10-15

Has this problem always been in effect since you tried the software, or did it use to work fine, and then started?

If the latter, think about what you might have changed on the computer before the problem started.

If the former... I am at a loss. Maybe some antivirus interfering with it?

• re.member
    re.member
    2013-10-15

Thanks for the quick reply.
    It has been like this since the first try.
    Never tried python before, so it was challenge accepted a la Barney Stinson when I read the instructions about compiling. So I tried that first. It is great the code is so commented. Great learning resource. Changed a few things, and after a few file name errors, managed to compile it. It works. Logs and all; except for that problem.
    So I compiled it without any changes... same thing. Tried the original binaries... same thing.
    I just noticed v 1.2.1 has python25.dll; I downloaded and installed everything python2.7 Think this might be an issue? Should I uninstall 2.7 and install 2.5?
    Will try the antivirus thing tonight as I don't want to kill the machine right now because of this, but I really doubt it.
    It looks like it's cycling through something, but just don't know for sure.

• nanotube
    nanotube
    2013-10-15

Thanks for your compliments on the code. :)
    Hm, Python 2.7 "should be fine", but when all else fails, it can't hurt to try a different python version... Also let me know on how it goes with the antivirus.

• re.member
    re.member
    2013-10-15

Great.
    Small question though... should I uninstall everything or just install 2.5?
    Will let you know about the antivirus.... I will try to record it... but like I said, the whole thing stops responding.

• nanotube
    nanotube
    2013-10-16

multiple versions of python can coexist just fine. they get installed into different directories, named by version.

• re.member
    re.member
    2013-10-16

Ok. I think I'm gonna stop. I found that there are just too many variables to check in my system. I have a lot of utilities loaded and running, and I think many of them conflict with the way the scripts are executed.
    For example, I had one utility using CTRL-F12 to move windows to the other monitor... deactivated that hotkey; but then Firefox started using CTRL-F12 to restore tabs (maybe an addon). So I changed the combo to CTRL(L)-CTRL(R)-SHIFT(R). Still same problem.

Disabling antivirus/firewall did nothing.

-After hitting the correct combo, the password prompt comes up, but can't type anything, can't select other stuff/windows with left click.

-But if I middle click I can switch windows and gain "some" control. It looks like a driver conflict, as a few times just moving the mouse or left-clicking produced sound. Yeah... weird. At least, I was able to kill the process without restarting.

-If I middle click at the password prompt, I can go into the control panel... well... it appears; but still can't use it, not even with middle-click. I have to middle-click somewhere else so the rest of the windows start responding to a certain extent.

-I have to middle-click through task manager and end-process dialogs to kill the exe. Left-clicking is just disabled.

I think I would need to try it somewhere else.

• nanotube
    nanotube
    2013-10-16

Heh wow, that's weird. Unfortunately at this point I have no idea what else to suggest...