refactoring -> extract method broken

matt
2007-09-12
2013-03-15
  • matt
    matt
    2007-09-12

Hi,

I recently updated to pydev 1.3.9 from 1.3.7 (I think). Extracting methods from the refactoring menu used to work for me. Now it does not. When I try using it I get the following error: "This refactoring is currently not available". Anyone have any ideas?

thanks
    -Matt

• Fabio Zadrozny
      Fabio Zadrozny
      2007-09-12

Strange... works here...

That happened on versions that didn't have the PEPTIC refactoring engine integrated... but that's quite some versions earlier (before 1.2.8).

Can you double-check if the 1.3.9 version is the one that's actually available there? (Remove older versions you have installed and check if it's the active version in help > software updates > manage install).

Also, if it keeps happening, please post the code where you're doing this and the kind of project (python or jython) where you're doing the refactoring.

Cheers,

Fabio

• matt
      matt
      2007-09-13

Hi Fabio,

thank you for the quick response. I tried uninstalling pydev and pydev extensions. Then I manually deleted all of the old feature and plug in folders related to them. Then redownloaded from your site and re-installed. Still the same problem.

a snipet of code that has this problem is as follows:

def my_fund():
          a=1
          b=2
          c=3
          d=a+b+c
          e=d*2

I highlighed:

d=a+b+c
          e=d*2

Then tried right_click->refactoring->extract method to extract method. That gave me the error. this is just a simple example I made to illustrate the problem. I experience the problem with more complicated cases too.

I think I have a pretty plain install of Eclipse Europa with nothing special other than subclipse and pydev added to it. Any ideas?

thanks
      -Matt

• matt
      matt
      2007-09-13

oh, yeah, I'm writing python code.

• matt
      matt
      2007-09-27

Hi I've tried fully removing Eclipse and Pydev from my computer. Then reinstalling both. I still have this error. Any idea what I should try next?

• Fabio Zadrozny
        Fabio Zadrozny
        2007-09-28

Do you have something in your error log?

• matt
          matt
          2007-09-28

I don't seem to have an error log that I can find. I've searched for .log and .metadata. Any suggestions as to where I should look?
          thanks
          -Matt

• matt
      matt
      2007-09-28

I've just installed the eclipse PDE and JDT. Now I can access the error log in eclipse. There were no errors related to refactoring.
      -Matt