Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Breakpoints Ignored in 1.3.3, Eclipse 3.2.2

2007-05-22
2013-03-15
  • Daniel Thill
    Daniel Thill
    2007-05-22

I'm having an issue with debugging.  First, my setup:
    WinXP
    Eclipse 3.2.2
    PyDev 1.3.3
    Python 2.5.1

Any time I try to Debug a script, the debugger starts up, but completely ignores any breakpoints.  The script then runs to completion, just as it would in a normal Run configuration.  This only happens with Python 2.5.0 and 2.5.1.  Python 2.4.4 seems to be fine (but I get an aforementioned issue with urllib not recognizing unicode characters).

I've recreated my projects, rebooted, waved dead chickens, and nothing seems to affect it.  Nothing shows up in the PDE error log, or the console output.  It's as if breakpoints simply don't exist.  I've read through the user forum and the bug database, but nothing quite applies.  I'm out of ideas.  Does anyone else have some?

-Dan

• Daniel Thill
      Daniel Thill
      2007-05-22

Some clarifications:

This occurs on even the most simple scripts, with or without any imports.  It also occurs when doing a debugging a Unit Test.

While this is seemingly related to an earlier post by a fellow having the same issue when importing TurboGears, he was at least able to break into the debugger after removing TurboGears.  I am having zero luck getting into the debugger under any circumstances.

• Daniel Thill
        Daniel Thill
        2007-05-22

Here is a sample:
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        dummy = True
        dummy2 = False

for i in range(10):
            print i   # breakpoint here

And here is the output after setting
        pydevd_trace = 2
        pydevd_trace_breakpoints = 2

inside pydevd_common.py

pydev debugger
        Executing file D:\doxyconvert\esrd_doxyconvert\src\blah.py
        arguments:['D:\\doxyconvert\\esrd_doxyconvert\\src\\blah.py']
        Connecting to localhost:14672
        Connected.
        received command 501    1    1.0
        sending cmd 501    1    1.0

Added breakpoint:d:\doxyconvert\esrd_doxyconvert\src\doxy_convert.py - line:5 - func_name:
        sending cmd 103    2    <xml><thread name="pydevd.reader" id="-1"/></xml>

received command 111    3    D:\doxyconvert\esrd_doxyconvert\src\doxy_convert.py    5    None
        Added breakpoint:d:\doxyconvert\esrd_doxyconvert\src\doxy_convert.py - line:209 - func_name:
        received command 111    5    D:\doxyconvert\esrd_doxyconvert\src\doxy_convert.py    209    None
        sending cmd 103    4    <xml><thread name="pydevd.writer" id="-1"/></xml>

received command 111    7    D:\doxyconvert\esrd_doxyconvert\src\blah.py    5    None
        Added breakpoint:d:\doxyconvert\esrd_doxyconvert\src\blah.py - line:5 - func_name:
        received command 101    9   

• Daniel Thill
          Daniel Thill
          2007-05-22

Sorry about that.  You can ignore the output from the first two breakpoints--they were left over from another source file.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
          pydev debugger
          Executing file D:\doxyconvert\esrd_doxyconvert\src\blah.py
          arguments:['D:\\doxyconvert\\esrd_doxyconvert\\src\\blah.py']
          Connecting to localhost:7173
          Connected.
          received command 501    1    1.0
          sending cmd 501    1    1.0

received command 111    3    D:\doxyconvert\esrd_doxyconvert\src\blah.py    5    None
          sending cmd 103    2    <xml><thread name="pydevd.reader" id="-1"/></xml>

Added breakpoint:d:\doxyconvert\esrd_doxyconvert\src\blah.py - line:5 - func_name:
          received command 101    5   
          sending cmd 103    4    <xml><thread name="pydevd.writer" id="-1"/></xml>

------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Daniel Thill
      Daniel Thill
      2007-05-23

Oddly enough, I just discovered PyDev 1.3.2 doesn't exhibit this issue.  However, I do get the aforementioned urllib + unicode error, which, while annoying, doesn't affect anything.

-------------------------------------------------------
      Traceback (most recent call last):
        File "C:\eclipse\plugins\org.python.pydev.debug_1.3.2\pysrc\pydevd_vars.py", line 156, in frameVarsToXML
          xml += varToXML(v, str(k))
        File "C:\eclipse\plugins\org.python.pydev.debug_1.3.2\pysrc\pydevd_vars.py", line 135, in varToXML
          xmlValue = ' value="%s"' % (makeValidXmlValue(urllib.quote(value, '/>_= \t')))
        File "c:\python25\lib\urllib.py", line 1205, in quote
          res = map(safe_map.__getitem__, s)
      KeyError: u'\xa1'
      unexpected error, recovered safely u'\xa1'
      -------------------------------------------------------

• Fabio Zadrozny
        Fabio Zadrozny
        2007-05-23

There were some optimizations in pydev 1.3.3, so, maybe one of those optimization is making you miss the breakpoints. As you said it's only in python 2.5, pydev may be relying on some info that's not there anymore (please report it as a bug).

As for the urllib error, please report it as a bug too.

Cheers,

Fabio

• Ptg
      Ptg
      2007-05-24

Yep, I also have this problem. Anyone know any fixes/workaround APART from downgrading?

• Fabio Zadrozny
        Fabio Zadrozny
        2007-05-24

I think I found the problem: python 2.5 breaks the 'frame.f_code.co_name' interface in the module level. Before it added '?' as the co_name, and now it says '<module>'.

So, please try the following:
        At org.python.pydev.debug/pysrc/pydevd_frame.py at line 48, where it says:

if curr_func_name == '?':

change it to:

if curr_func_name == '?' or curr_func_name == '<module>':

This should make it work again (if that doesn't solve it, please report again).

Cheers,

Fabio

• Fabio Zadrozny
          Fabio Zadrozny
          2007-05-24

Oops, it's in line 51...

Cheers,

Fabio

• Ptg
          Ptg
          2007-05-27

Yep, that fix works, thanks.

• Ptg
            Ptg
            2007-05-27

Well, kind of works. I use stackless (http://www.stackless.com), and used it with no problems in previous pydev versions. With the fix above, it stops at breakpoints in the main stack, but if i have any tasklets, I cant break in them.

• Fabio Zadrozny
              Fabio Zadrozny
              2007-05-27

Humm... I have to see how stackless breaks those functions... meanwhile, you can probably comment lines 46-64 in pydevd_frame.py to make it work (it'll be a bit slower, but should work) -- also, please report that as a bug regarding stackless and the debugger.

Cheers,

Fabio