Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

java.lang.RuntimeException: PyLint ERROR:

2011-12-10
2013-03-15
  • In the error log there are errors originating from plug-in

org.python.pydev.core

like this one

java.lang.RuntimeException: PyLint ERROR: 
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "C:\python\virtualenv\x\Lib\site-packages\pylint\lint.py", line 31, in <module>
        from pylint.checkers import utils
    ImportError: No module named pylint.checkers
        at org.python.pydev.builder.pylint.PyLintVisitor$PyLintThread.passPyLint(PyLintVisitor.java:238)
        at org.python.pydev.builder.pylint.PyLintVisitor$PyLintThread.run(PyLintVisitor.java:107)

• Fabio Zadrozny
    Fabio Zadrozny
    2011-12-13

It seems you specified the PyLint location but it's not available in the PYTHONPATH for the interpreter you're using…

• Yes and no :)
    Running

c:\python\virtualenv\x\Lib\site-packages\pylint\lint.py

from within command line with the same virtualenv activated results in the same error, indeed. However running

python c:\python\virtualenv\x\Lib\site-packages\pylint\lint.py

gives no errors. That's because virtualenv's python executable is on the

PATH

but

.py

extension is still associated with the original Python installation. See http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4879624/

I think that changing the way PyDev runs pylint (specifying interpreter's name before path to pylint script) would solve this problem.

• Any comments on this?

• I think that changing the way PyDev runs pylint (specifying interpreter's name before path to pylint script) would solve this problem.

Fabio, what do you think?

• Fabio Zadrozny
    Fabio Zadrozny
    2012-01-25

Yes, I think that there are improvements needed to make PyLint have a better integration in PyDev… (I must say I'm not giving a high priority for that because with the pep8 integration and the code-analysis built into PyDev, which are already better integrated, PyLint is becoming less useful, so, I wanted to know which features do you use of PyLint - to know if it's worth spending more time to improve its integration).

Cheers,

Fabio

• Thanks for answering.

From time to time I go through all Pylint's warnings and check code to see what I can do to remove them. It's good there's PEP8 integration now. To tell the truth I thought it would overall be better to make Pylint check all things PEP8 checks; see my question at http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6879640/ It looks like nothing happens with http://www.logilab.org/ticket/82519

I'd like to make a remark this problem is probably not specific to Pylint. If there were other 3rd party libs called by PyDev the problem would be the same. Maybe there are already such libs which I'm not aware of…