Launch Configurations Disappear

Jeff
2011-06-29
2013-03-15
  • Jeff
    Jeff
    2011-06-29

In one of the last few PyDev updates, I've noticed that launch configurations disappear.  Every time I try to run a script, using F5 (I'm using the Visual Studio key configuration scheme), PyDev will ask me if I want to debug as "Python Run" or "Python unit-test".  I get this dialog every time I run a script.  Prior to a few weeks ago, I would only have to do this once, and then all subsequent launches would use the previous launch configuration.

And if I go to the launch configuration dialog ("Run/Debug Settings" from the Properties dialog for a given Python file), no launch configurations appear.  If I try to create a new launch configuration using the Project's name and the Python file's name appended to it (which is how PyDev automatically names them), I get an error saying that a launch configuration with that name already exists.

This behavior has just started happening a few weeks ago.  (I've been using PyDev for almost 3 years).  Is this a bug, or has handling of launch configurations changed recently?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

• Fabio Zadrozny
    Fabio Zadrozny
    2011-06-29

I don't think I've seen this issue before… Do you have some error in your error log? (See: http://pydev.org/faq.html#how_do_i_report_a_bug)

Also, not sure if you've read the session related to running a program in the getting started guide: http://pydev.org/manual_101_run.html (I know you work in PyDev for quite some time, but if you haven't read it, it might be worth it - you can rebind the bindings cited in that page if you want).

Cheers,

Fabio

• Jeff
    Jeff
    2011-06-30

Thanks for the help!  I think this might be a case of an eclipse workspace that has been around for years, has had many projects in it (some used for actual development, others just test projects) survived several updates of both PyDev and Eclipse, and has generally just gotten too big for its britches.  I removed a lot of the old (and unused) projects, and created a new launch configuration for my current project, and that one behaves normally.

Also, not sure if you've read the session related to running a program in the getting started guide: http://pydev.org/manual_101_run.html

Good stuff!  It's never too late for this old dog to learn some new tricks! :-)  I set the preference, "Always launch the previously launched application"  and now F5 runs the previous launch config.  Yay!

Thanks for your help!
    Jeff

• Tom Semple
    Tom Semple
    2012-12-12

I am experiencing a variation of this problem. In my case it applies only to one of my PyDev projects. I can fill out a launch configuration and use it successfully one time (or re-run during that session), but it never again appears in the Run Configurations list. The launch configuration files exist in my workspace (in .metadata/plugins/org.eclipse.debug.core/.launches) but they seem to be filtered out somewhere along the way, I assume by Pydev. Meanwhile other PyDev projects (and Java projects) do not have this problem.

I've tried recreating the project from scratch, and was able to have a configuration 'stick' one time, but it vanished after some perspective change or close of the project, never to return (after opening the project again).

Most annoying.

• Anonymous
    2013-02-09

I am experiencing the same problem: debug and run configurations of PyDev projects disappear randomly in Eclipse.

The configurations are still stored somewhere, since creating a new launch configuration with the same name is not possible with message "A configuration with this name already exists".